What about Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosReid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would like to know if anyone has recent observations about potential diving in Haiti, if one had time while there for other purposes? I can't imagine dive operations there, or what the underwater conditions would be after recent disasters...My dive buddy is insisting there has to be something to see! Thanks, as always, for guidance from the 'Board!

I'm living in North Haiti now. Once I get settled in I'll find air and try to give a report on how the diving is here. :)

I have a friend who runs a large disaster response group there. I will talk to her

The problem I have found here in the North is the lack of Dive infrastructure. Few places to get air and rent gear. I have heard that they are resurrecting a dive shop near Cap Haitian close to where there are some charted dive sites but I have not been able to get up with them.

Enjoy wandering a bit... :)

I had the same question.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/515193-anyone-been-diving-haiti.html

my last trip I went diving with Marina Blue Haiti
Marina Blue Haiti Scuba Diving & Excursions in Haiti

The diving was way better than being stuck at our hotel in Port Au Prince for the weekend. Getting there can be somewhat dependant on the political/security situation on Hwy 1 driving there. One weekend we could not make the drive.

In short it can be done.

Hey folks,

Yes indeed Marina Blue is open 7 days a week, as well as Pegasus Diving at Kaliko Marina (they just upgraded compressor and rental gear) north of Port au Prince. If the road is blocked or underwater as has been the case recently, you can dive in the south! I take groups every weekend and teach PADI courses, with our main base at Gran Goave. The bay has sections of really beautiful and relatively healthy coral, more so as you head out west on both the south and north sides. The best part is getting to see another side of Haiti - picturesque, walkable towns with friendly people and lush vegetation, and truly deserted white sand beaches.

See photos and learn more: www.guerrilladivershaiti.com
and here: www.facebook.com/guerrilladivershaiti

I've recently invested in a compressor and enough tanks and gear to dive here in North Haiti. A few weeks ago, myself and a dive buddy dove the entrance to Caracol bay. Good dive with decent visibility. The next day, we dove fort labouque. Awesome dive. A real nice wall dive with a beach entry. Hard to drive out to the site but worth it for a look around the abandoned fort and a Great Wall dive. I plan to do more exploratory diving over the next few months. Buddies welcome!

I'm living in North Haiti now.

Bet there is an interesting story there if you ever feel minded to share it.

@Wandersome sounds great! Definitely need to get back up there and dive, hopefully with slightly less adventure than the last time :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom