Help me decide: Little Cayman or Saba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I was planning on joining a group trip through my shop to Little Cayman in March... Recently, another trip was planned going to Saba in mid November - yes, a month and a half from now. Looks like Saba's going to be a few of hundred bucks cheaper than Little Cayman for roughly the same number of dives, and I'd be able to get my warm water fix sooner. Never been to either Cayman Islands or Saba. So which to choose and why? Doing both trips at this point doesn't look like an option.

Look at the usual seasonal weather patterns in the Caribbean for November and again for March. That should be a factor.

Caribbean tropical storm and hurricane season runs August thru March. I would put my happy-weather bets on Cayman for March.

My vote is Saba. IMHO more life, chances of bigger fish, more challenge (=more fun?). Doc calls it right though, you need to watch for storms. Saba can get its share.

Little Cayman ... Best wall diving, many options in rough weather snd great dive operators.

I've dove neither but would like to do both; maybe someday.

If I were comparing them, I'd consider how many of my dives were likely to involve greater current and depth. What I've read of Saba suggests those underwater pinnacles are deep, and Saba lacks shore diving.

Would Little Cayman dives tend to be shallower, and less likely to have current? If there are shore dives there, would you be likely to do some? I wonder how average dive times compare? I don't mind deep dives when there's a reason to go deep, but all other things being equal, I like shallow for the long dive times and better lighting/color.

This may be a stretch, but do you often need to compromise vacation choices to accommodate non-divers, or other people who want something else to do? If so, and this is going to be your 'dive all the time' trip, would it make sense to hit the destination with least other things to do, if next time you'll need to accommodate others?

Richard.

I have not been to Saba but Little Cayman is my favorite Caribbean destination - have been maybe 6 times and stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort. Wall diving is extraordinary, visibility almost always 100+, very pleasant people......

Having been diving on both I would pick Little Cayman without a doubt! Bloody Bay Wall is awesome...some of the best diving in the Caribbean!

Got back from Little Cayman a week ago. My 5th trip there I think it was. If your shop is going to the Little Cayman Beach Resort, jump on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom