Diving the Caribbean in Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patrickusaf08

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning some dives this feb in St Thomas and St Marten. What is the water temp and thermocline depth. I am trying to think if I want to talk my 3mm or 5 mm aqua lock and its boots and gloves.

We have no thermocline in St Thomas. Winter temps 75-78 degrees. You will be fine in a 3mm, maybe add a vest if you tend to get cold.

I just checked my dive log and my computer decided it was 79F in St. Thomas in March of this year. I wore a 3 mm full and was comfortable.

Take a vest and a hood. Even when the water is around 80 after a few days I need my hood to keep me a bit warmer. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

It's the coldest of all months for water temp: Weather climate St Martin island - weather forecast for st martin st maarten - Tourist Office of Saint Martin

Thermocline depth I view as irrelevant because you're only talking of a difference of (usually much less than ±1.5°) which may feel like a wall, but in reality, it isn't much in body impact.

Before anyone throws out this-or-that mil recommendations, which are truly a personalized component of your quite mathematical question....

The missing component to such suggestions, besides personal history, is the much more important factor of repetitive dive schedule. Once you quantify the water temp and what it means to you, understand that thermal protection varies in some proportion to the daily dive schedule and surface interval quality.

To offer specifics as to 1 or 7mm suits, without knowing the planned repetitive dive schedule, that goes beyond a recommendation based (anecdotal) experience on the individual body type, but into the realm of an incomplete equation.

Any concern about thermal protection should have a required lead-in statement: "I will have a beanie/hood, but I was wondering..."

Lot more to it, but your question is (mostly) properly effaced in that link.

Do they still allow divers to use gloves?

Back
Top Bottom