Give Your Opinion- Best Coral Reef Diving in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That I have seen so far...Papua New Guinea on a ''coral reef'' basis. Why? biodiversity, volume of marine life, health of corals, remoteness leading to very few divers which suits me more than say N. Sulawesi which I also like but far more divers there.

Northern or southern Line Islands - no contest here

Have you been to the "coral triangle" and believe that the Line Islands are better? How did you dive them, by day trip or live-aborad? Are the reefs in 50 feet of water or less? Can you recommend a dive outfit or travel agent?

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2013 at 10:47 AM ----------

That I have seen so far...Papua New Guinea on a ''coral reef'' basis. Why? biodiversity, volume of marine life, health of corals, remoteness leading to very few divers which suits me more than say N. Sulawesi which I also like but far more divers there.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Can you make any good dives in 50 feet or less? What specific areas or dive outfits can you recommend?

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

Can you recommend specific areas or dive outfits? I'm specifically interested in diving reefs at a depth of 50 feet or less.

The Palancar Reef, San Miguel de Cozumel in Mexico

More of a garden than a reef, this is also known as a coral. The colors of the corals here are amazing and make you wonder if there was such a profusion of color anywhere else. It is bound to take your breadth away with exotic selections of lobsters, crabs, sting rays and barracudas; a delightful holiday if you are one who wants to witness the Garden of Eden underwater.

The Palancar Reef, San Miguel de Cozumel in Mexico

More of a garden than a reef, this is also known as a coral. The colors of the corals here are amazing and make you wonder if there was such a profusion of color anywhere else. It is bound to take your breadth away with exotic selections of lobsters, crabs, sting rays and barracudas; a delightful holiday if you are one who wants to witness the Garden of Eden underwater.

Thanks Debra! Here's something I found when looking up Palancar Reef: Top Ten Beautiful Reefs in the World

I really like Cozumel, but it doesn't compare to the reefs I dove in Raja Ampat Indonesia.

I havent been to all those places....honestly, not a lot of those places. But there is a reason that Fiji is known as the Soft Coral Capital of the world and folks that have been all over the world over the past years place the diving in Fiji today as among the best they have ever seen.

Fishstix, At Naigani Island Resort (Transparency alert!!! My wife and I have recently been named managers of this resort) our local dive sites are mostly on lone pinnacles and groups of pinnacles with the bottoms at 60 to 80 feet. They can easily be dove at 50 feet without missing anything and much of most amazing soft corals are on the top of the pinnacles, which are 15-25 feet. These sites are from 5 to 20 minutes from our white sandy beach.

We also dive some of the sites that, for the most part, only the live-boards get to. Like Wakaya, E-6, and Makogai. These sites are a little farther away, 45 minutes to 65 minutes, but are well worth the trip. At this time we charge a small fuel surcharge to get to these sites, but usually do three tanks before we return as well. These are wall dives that can be done shallow or deep, as you like. E-6 is world famous, Makogai boasts huge giant clams, and Wakaya has resident manta rays and great hammer heads (we recently saw a leopard shark at Wakaya as well, but I wouldnt go out on a limb and say that is resident just yet). Wakaya has a lot of diving that is in your range where you will see big schools of barracuda, giant trevally, spanish mackeral, and loads of other schooling fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom