Qamea Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Getting ready for an upcoming trip to Qamea, Fiji. Wondering if anybody who has been to Qamea can give me some advice. I'm wondering if I should just dive the local dives around Qamea? Or if it would be worth to do one or two day trips to Somosomo Strait and dive the White Wall and other dives around there such as mellow yellow. My wife will be with me and she's rather new to diving so I want to make sure she will be comfortable.

Last edited:
We dove quite a bit around Qamea while staying in the area quite a few years ago. Many sites we dove we very near the shore, steep small underwater "cuts" that run along the western side of the island. These were about 50 yards each and the current coming around each corner could be a bit strong. Plenty to see. I asked what the names were for some Qamea dives and I think many are not named. The captain and DM seemed to make them up on the spot.

We also did SomoSomo straits - Great White wall, Rainbow reef and another which escapes me. It is well worth it and Great White wall is dramatic. There is/was a swim through to begin Great White wall but talk to the dive op about doing it first.

We also dived on the other side of Qamea around Matangi and Laucala island. Though the Great White wall is, well, great, I prefer Yellow and Noel's walls. The current and surge was less (at least when we did them) and the walls more spectacular IMO with much more and different formations, corals and fish. On top are flat and V cut formations, then a shallow area on top where you can snorkel on the SI and of course the walls. Tons of fish and at the time, stunning healthy hard and soft coral. These are my two favorite dives of all.
You should see lots of soft coral, tons of fish, sharks (we saw white tip reef), jelly fish the size of beer kegs (which posed no danger to us), blue ribbon eels, among others. Overall you can see white wall, purple wall, pink wall, yellow wall due to the soft coral color.

I have not heard of mellow yellow as a dive site in the area but there are some sites that are more sheltered than others. Note that in the area there can be strong currents and surge. Sometimes these seemed to team up against us and a few of these dives were work. Others not so much. The dive op can advise about sites. I suggest getting your legs in shape just in case and hydrate before the dives.

You can't go all the way to Fiji/Taveuni and not dive the SomoSomo Straits but I would recommend diving around Qamea/Matangi first then go to SomoSomo straits. Don't limit yourself. From Qamea I suspect it will be a three tank dive trip and these should need a minimum number of divers.

The photo below is on top of Yellow and Noels wall. I have more photos from the area in my gallery here on SB - the photos are in a flat organization but see all those with Fiji, Taveuni, Qamea or related in the title (page 5 and 6 if 24 per page are viewed). I have some of the walls themselves. I did not take my camera with me on the Great White wall dive since I didn't know what to expect. I should have.

UW_landscape_48rc.jpg

If you can, try to get to Bouma Falls on Taveuni. It’s awesome. Have good water shoes if you feel the need to climb up the small cliffs to jump off next to the falls. The rocks are slippery. Beware, there can be some big submerged rocks beneath the surface. Also there are more falls higher up the mountain so good shoes are a must. It is rainy there. Check the day you go as the park may have a kids free day and there could be a lot of them (you pay a small amount so take some cash with you – I swear we paid in USD but I think they have a website). On the other hand they know the best routes and where the submerged rocks are located.

I definitely would check out the Scubaboard Regional forums, Australia, NZ and Pacific Islands, Pacific Islands subforum. There is ton of info on Fiji, Taveuni and SomoSomo Straits diving.

Back
Top Bottom