Need advice please! Bahamas? Cruise? Cozumel? Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwimjim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, I need a little advice

I live in Toronto so most of my diving here has been fresh water wrecks. I did a few days of diving in Dahab, Egypt and in Zanzibar, Tanzania on past trips but the diving was a tiny slice of a 4 month trip. I'd like to do some -diving- trips in the next year while my wife is on maternity leave.. I've done a lot of reading on here, it seems the best diving is from liveaboards but at this stage of my life that won't be possible as I travel with my wife, infant and mother and father (eager babysitters). We can't travel during the summer because of other commitments.. I'd like to go somewhere this winter and then again in the fall. So let me know what you think, these are what I've picked as winter options but feel free to suggest otherwise:

A. Head the the Bahamas for 7-10 days, in Nassau do the shark feeding dive, dive the ray of hope wreck, do the DPV wall flying dive, maybe check out pumpkin path and southwest reefs. Hop over to Grand Bahama, do a day trip to Tiger Beach, wreck dive Theo's Wreck and Sea Star II. I'm assuming the Bahamas would be enjoyable for my parents?

B. Take a 7 day Carnival Cruise to Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Belize City. Could dive in Roatan and Cozumel, get a taste for it. And do the sting ray dive and Kittiwake wreck dive in Grand Cayman, and check out the Mayan ruins in Belize. Then hop over to Nassau or Grand Bahama for 3 days of diving, shark dive, etc... None of us have ever been on a cruise though my wife and I have travelled all over the world, we avoid tours and always do it DIY so the concept of a cruise is pretty much the opposite of how we like to travel but at the same time I think my parents might enjoy it.. so if they're happy and I can get some diving in on the shore days plus a couple of days in the Bahamas aferwards it could be an ideal compromise for everyone :) Hopefully it's not too much of a gong show to get in a nice two tank dive in Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Another plus is that it is a way for us to get a taste of a few different places in the carribean since we've never been anywhere down south.

And this what I've picked as our options for a fall trip:

C. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, for the beaches and diving but also for the great hiking on Kauai and the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. I like how well rounded it is, we love hiking. The Manta Ray dive on the big island looks great, snorkeling with dolphins in Kealakekua Bay, etc.. and Kauai seems interesting with lava tubes and turtles, etc.. but the main diving draw is obviously Ni'ihau. Because we can't go in the summer and the Ni'ihau season is only may-oct basically the only time we could go is September. Hawaii seems like a place where everyone could have a great time whether they were diving or not. We could do this trip in the winter but it would mean missing Ni'ihau, which seems like a don't miss kind of thing? If we went all the way out to Hawaii we'd probably do 1 week Big Island and 1 week Kauai.

D. Cozumel. Everyone on here seems to agree Cozumel is where it's at in the Carribean if a liveaboard isn't an option. We'd go for 7-10 days. I like the variety of spending a day cenote diving on the mainland and the whale shark snorkeling at Isla Mujeres sounds incredible. It seems like if we're going to go out to Cozumel that it would be a shame to go and miss the whale shark season, because who knows when we'd get the chance to return. Whale shark season is June 1 to Sept 15 so we'd have to go in early September to see and do it all. But how would Cozumel be for the non divers in the group? I've read it described as barren vegetation wise? Like hawaii this IS a trip we could do in the winter but we'd miss the whale sharks.. which also seems like a don't miss kind of thing?

I know this is a long post but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've been diving since 1990, and going back to Cozumel at least once a year ever since. Part of it is convenience - I'm in the Dallas Area, and it is easy and cheap(or atleast it used to be!) to get to Cozumel. But most of it is the entire Cozumel experience - great diving, great food, friendly people. While diving is the main attraction of Cozumel, it is far from barren, and there are plenty of other things for non-divers to do, including Snorkeling, sitting on the beach at a beach club, taking a tour of the "wild side", the East side of the island which is mostly undeveloped, the Museum, Chankanaab Park, taking a tour of Punta Sur Park, including a boat trip through the Mangrove Swamp that serves as a nursery for a great many fish and is home to Crocodiles (much smaller than Nile or Salt Water Crocs), daty trips to Tulum or Chichen Itza (sp?) to see the ruins, and many other attractions. Two items of advice - I've done the Cenotes thing once, and for me its a "been there, done that" thing; I just do not get the appeal. I'd MUCH rather have a good dive on the reefs, seeing incredible coral formations, Sea Turtles, Morays, Groupers, Crabs & Lobsters than in a drab underground hole. But that's just me. I know other divers who think Cenote diving is just thrilling. Second, do NOT do the All-Inclusive thing. All-Inclusives can be great for many vacation destinations, but Cozumel has just too many wonderful restaurants, and it's incredibly safe to wander around; isolating yourself at an all-inclusive resort will deprive you of one of my favorite things about Cozumel - the quality, value, and variety of eating out that is available. And don't miss some of the great, small, out of the way locally owned restaurants, like El Moro (you'll need to take a cab to find it, but it's well worth the trip), or La Perlita for Coconut crusted Lionfish - 2 for 1 on Thursdays, or any of the great "loncherias", open only for lunch, they serve a fixed price 4-course lunch at an incredible value. For info on Cozumel Restaurants, go to the Cozumel Forum here, or at CozumelMycozumel.com.

As to the Cruise, I've been on just one cruise, and I didn't like it - too much like a floating prison, too regimented for me. But that's a matter of personal taste. BUT, if you do go the cruise route, try to arrange your diving separately, NOT through the Cruise ship. The cruise ship will hit you with a huge markup, and you can find much better Dive Operators on your own that will accomodate a Cruise Ship Schedule.

Thanks for the great advice on Cozumel! I know for a fact a cruise will not be my thing, but I was just thinking it might be more interesting for my parents while still allowing me to dive and sample a few different well known places in the Caribbean. As far as Cozumel, what's a good price for 2 tank dives per day and hotel per day? Just so I know what to aim for when shopping around. Have you gone snorkeling with the whale sharks? Thanks!

Price for a 2 tank dive varies, and I would personally not choose a Dive Op by price. That being said, so far as I know, prices range from about $60 U.S. To about $90 U.S. For a single 2 tank dive, with discounts usually available for multi-day packages. You'll probably get your best price booking 4 or 5 days with one dive op. My own favorite Dive Op is Aldora, which is near, if not at, the high end of the market; its web site lists the price for a 2 tank dive at $89. BUT, for that price, you get Steel 120 tanks, meaning lots more air and much longer bottom times; a long Surface Interval at a beach club (longer SI means longer second dive), and a total valet service. If you go strictly by price, you'll get a cattle boat operator, lots of divers crammed onto a big slow boat, and pretty limited dives. You don't need to go with the high end Dive Ops to get great dives, Dive with Martin is also a good Dive Op, although you won't get steel tanks (I like the buoyancy characteristics of steel; aluminum tanks get positively buoyant when they get down to about 700 psi, so you need extra weight or you'll pop to the surface during a safety stop), and you'll pay extra for AL 100 tanks if you suck air. Lots of very good Dive Ops in Cozumel to choose from - decide what you want, the check out Cozumel Board for recommendations.

Yes, I have done the Whale Shark trip. Trying to do it in one day from Cozumel is exhausting. It is well worth doing, but be warned, it is HARD DAMN WORK. Those whale sharks keep moving, and you need to kick hard to keep up. It is a real aerobic workout. Get in shape if you want to get the most out of it. Again, you'll find several threads on the Cozumel Board with advice and info on the Whale Shark trip. I went in July, and there were hundreds of Whale Sharks all around our boat. I have no idea if it's the same later on in September.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

BTW, there is currently a thread on the Cozumel Board about things to do when you can't dive - it's got some good info on activities on Cozumel for non divers.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 09:48 PM ----------

ALSO, on Dive Ops, most Dive Ops on Cozumel will NOT take a diver to some of the better more advanced dive sites until they have personal knowledge of the diver's capability. If you dive with the same Dive Op for 5 days, they'll see you in action and know that you're fit for some of the advanced dive sites. If you decide to sample several dive ops, just to see what they are like, you are unlikely to get to see the best Cozumel has to offer. Stick with a single Dive Op.

Thanks, no I just wanted to know what to expect to pay for a good dive op and good hotel, the choices are overwhelming, will do some more reading on here when the time comes. Thanks again for all the info on Cozumel, though I'm still having trouble figuring out if I'm better off going to Cozumel this winter and missing the whale sharks, or doing the 7 day cruise + 3 days on Grand Bahama for tiger shark diving and postponing Cozumel for another time when I can make it for the end of whale shark season in September.

Not that I'm complaining, as far as dilemmas go it's a pretty good one :)

You shouldn't count on the whale sharks in Cozumel, as they may or may not be cooperative. I would recommend you pick Cozumel or Grand Bahama based on other factors. If you are crazy about sharks, pick Grand Bahama and book a shark dive. If you want all-around great diving with interesting marine life and topography and an enjoyable topside atmosphere, pick Cozumel. I am not big on sharks and would only return to Grand Bahama if the flight was too cheap to pass up. Otherwise, Cozumel wins my vote by a mile.

As for cruises, again I recommend you determine your priorities. If diving is your thing, then skip the 7-day cruise and book a 7-day dive vacation. Often, a dive op won't even take you to the best sites until you have been diving with them for a couple of days and they've had the chance to get to know you and your abilities.

For my $$$$$ it's the "All Inclusive packages. many don't include diving but you can work a deal with the boat operators. pay once eat drink, sail, ect. Sandals Jamaica, isn't bad for the price and usually includes diving & sometimes golf as well. Cozumel has some great diving, and the island seems to be a less aggressive than other places in mexico. But the dive opts didn't seem to care about dive certs. (They took a 12 yr. kid to devils throat, 110++. ' Hawaii has colder water. (The Manta Dive Rocks), And Hawaii is very safe. Try California? it's not as warm but we have a lot to see & Do.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

Curacao - hang with the family and do a bunch of beach diving. They'll barely notice that you're gone... vs being off on a boat 2/3rds of the day.

One more vote for Cozumel, it has both nice beaches for your family and great diving for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom