night diving light for Caribbean live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luckydiver

Registered
Reaction score
Since this is more of a travel related situation for me, thought I'd post this question here. I'd like recommendations on a relatively small light that would be an ideal travel light for relatively clear waters, that is lite weight and is convenient to charge aboard a dive boat or takes easily found batteries. I'd like a model that comes with a wrist or hand mount and the icing on the cake would be if it had an adjustable beam width and adjustable intensity. I want one that it's well known to have a good, reliable reputation.

What would be considered a minimum lumen rating or an overlill lumen rating? 200 and 1000?

Any other considerations?

While they're a few years older now, I have two of the Dorcy's. Dorcy Dive II 220 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

Have used them in Utila, Turks/Caicos on the Explorer etc. 220 lumens so bright enough to see yet not a monster light that makes the fish run and hide when you light them up.

Piranha sells them and also a soft goodman handle option. It's the same light - when you get them it will say Dorcy on the handle.
Penetrater 220 2 Light Package
Soft Low Rider Handle for Penetrator, Hog or Mini Deep Star Light

Twist on and take 6 AAA's. Mine lasted all week on the same set - 1 dive per night.

No adjustable beam/intensity. I think some of the Intova's have that.

I live for night diving and have maybe 1200 night dives in the Caribbean alone. I have gone through a lot of lights from the Ikelite 6V lantern Battery (the size of a Foster's Beer can), the UK1200R (think a Piper Cub landing light), The Blackwater NightRider (about 9 pounds), and bunches of the newer LED models. I have box-fulls of old lights.

I really like the SOLA, the smallest wrist mount unit has been perfect for two years, no need to go big. LIGHT & MOTION || SCUBA DIVE LIGHTS It recharges quickly, it's super light and lasts through a 90 minute dive.

A really nice hand-held and very cheap was the ScubaPro UWATEC Fuego, find them on eBay. It is by far the best 4c light I have tried to destroy with no success. The Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO is a good value as well and is currently available.

Sea Elite LED Light Package

any opinions on this package?  Seems great.  Only decision is to get the 1500 single mode light for poking around holes in daylight or the 1000 lumen rechargeable battery multi mode light. Is 1000 lumen bright enough to be effective in broad daylight for snooping around coral holes in daylight vs the 1500 lumen lighthouse? 

Back
Top Bottom