Flying with Stage Bottles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DLloyd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am flying to Florida on a 10 day dive trip and trying to take as much gear as possible on the plane.

I would like to take two stage bottles and an inflator bottle. I know the bottles have to be empty with the valve removed to allow for inspection. We are flying United and their official policy seems to be that they charge $100 extra per bottle - even if the bottles fit within the proper checked luggage weight and dimension specs. That seems unreasonable and it is hard to image that policy being enforced.

Has anyone had experience with United or any other carriers and travelling with deco/stage bottles (40-50 ft^3)?

Thanks

I flew United out of EWR to HNL when moving and brought a series of tanks (2AL80s, 2AL40s, 4 HP130s and 2HP100s) with me in checked baggage without any fees over the course of a few trips. Keep it under 50lbs or 70lbs or whatever your allowance is and you'll be fine. If asked, just say open ended metal cylinders, not scuba tanks, but basically what's in there is nobody's business but your own.

Keep in mind two things. First, you cannot plug or cover the cylinder end with anything, even loose clear plastic. TSA is both retarded and nitpicky. Second, the bottles will be getting smashed into concrete, metal, and/or stone: anything you put them in better be able to handle being crushed between the tank and the deck, and, the bottle neck better be protected or there's nothing to guarantee you'll be able to screw a valve into it ever again. Also, I'd carry on the valves if I were you.

Can deco bottles really be considered O2 clean after spending a prolonged period open/unpressurized?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom