San Francisco stopover for 6 hours. .need suggestions what to do in there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
We are a couple with a kid going to Hawaii but with a stopover at SFO airport for 6 hrs.

Arriving at SFO airport March 13 Thursday at 11.30 am and the Hawaii connection leaves at 5:30pm.

I've been to San Francisco before. Did some research and found taking the train from airport to downtown areas is good. So can we take the train to the wharf ..eat, hangout and take train back on time to catch the flight at 5:30?

Please advice since 6 hours in the airport will be boring but not long enough for a relaxed day trip !
Thanks
Kris

Don't take my comments as fact since it's been a lot of years since I did something similar.

The BART terminal at SFO is is near the parking garage. So you can take AirTrain (free shuttle) over. BART from there took about 1/2 hr.? to the hotels downtown. From the closest BART station to the pier I believe you have to cab over - I think Embarcadero is the closest station and that's a mile or more. I think I'd be concerned with the rush hour commute on your return. You can pre-buy your BART voucher online.

Less fun would be go to "hotel row" in Burlingame nearby. Many of the SFO airport hotels are there. Or there's shops/stores downtown nearby. Burlingame appears to be struggling at times - vacant storefronts. I haven't been thru there in many years so IDK how it is currently. There are outdoor cafes in one area and maybe 100? small shops. Maybe a 10? min. cab ride. http://burlingame.org/

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. .. as always.. I'll do my research. Would love to show sea lions by the wharf and eat sea food there. ...kid would enjoy it.I'll check the Burlingame.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Six hours is pretty tight by the time you factor in travel and getting through security again. SFO is a long way from the City.

Ok.
Is the Bart train any fun.? Is it an elevated train or just level if its elevated it might have good sightseeing and my kid would love it. worse case we might just do the train and come back like 2 hours before the flight .Thanks

Bart is now connected directly to the airport. It is about 45 minute trip to get downtown. Much of it is underground closer to Sfo.

You could get off at Powell street and then take the cable car to fishermans warf and back.

I have driven it, but never took BART from SFO downtown. Let’s just say it isn’t the best part of the peninsula or the city. I would try to find one of the hotels near the airport with a restaurant on the top floor with a view of the bay. How much carry-on stuff will you have to lug and how old is your child?

Is the Bart train any fun.? Is it an elevated train or just level if its elevated it might have good sightseeing and my kid would love it. worse case we might just do the train and come back like 2 hours before the flight .

Most of the BART run from the airport to downtown is underground, so not that much fun. But BART will deliver you quickly from the airport to Powell street, where as another poster mentioned, you can take the cable car up and over to Fisherman's Wharf. On that one cable car ride, you'll actually see quite a few of the "classic" sights of San Francisco in a pretty short time.

Should be easily doable in 6 hours. Just don't take too long eating lunch at the Wharf.

Welcome to SF! I'd like to make another recommendation. Skip fisherman's wharf. It will eat up over an hour to get there (and that assumes there isn't a line for the Cable car.
Consider taking BART direct to the Mission District...25 minutes. The BART stations are grimy in the mission, but do not be deterred. The neighborhood is really cool. Valencia is a nicer street to walk on than Mission (IMHO)
Grab lunch (recommendations below) and take a self-guided walking tour of all the murals -- really fun and will help stretch your legs between flights. Maybe wear the kids out.
Mural Info: precitaeyes.org does walking tours and kid art classes or just go on your own. Mission Murals
You could also visit Mission Dolores or go run around Dolores Park...all walking distance.
Eats: Not certain what your kids like but mid-day I recommend: Dosa for Indian, Blowfish for sushi, and La Taqueria for the quintessential mission burrito.
Oh...and consider popping into Bakery Tartine and picking something up....mind blowing.
Or just get amazing icecream at humphryslocombe.com (nontraditional...so check it out first).
Melissa

Akimbo
My daughter is 6yo. Wife and I will carry a small hand luggage each that's all. That restaurant on the top floor is a good idea will research on that.

It's been 10 yr since I've been to SFO. We can see a few sea lions right near fisherman's wharf right?

How long is the cable car right from Powell to f. Wharf? My guess is about 25 min?

Melissa,
Thanks for info. Is mission a safe place to walk around? Will read about all u said. As for food I'd love to eat the sea food at the wharf since last time it was amazing. .. If we don't go to the fisherman's wharf. ..then is there any good Malaysian around Mission district?
I won't miss Indian food cause I'm Indian myself lol.

I think the most important question is how long will the security check-in be at the airport for a 5:30pm flight to kona? .... this on a weekday (Thursday)?

I will do my research on all u guys commented thanks. ..!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom