Dive Trip of a Lifetime to celebrate our 30th Anniversary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erywcy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have 150+ dives in the Caribbean, mostly Bonaire.. Want to experience something different, liveaboard would be difficult as I do get very seasick. We have 2 weeks, a 15k budget, and August 2014 date. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

One word: Wakatobi. Did this for our 25th. Might go back for our 30th!

Truk and Palau

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

You should certainly go somewhere in the Pacific zone of the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Palau... Lots of land-based options. Do you want wrecks, sharks, nudibranchs, weird critters in the muck, drift dives with current...? Are you heavy into photography, or not? Staying in full luxury with lots of service, or keen on seeing more of the way the locals live by being at a place in a village? What's your tolerance for multiple flights and car/boat transfers to arrive at your destination? Spend 12 days at one place, or 6+5 with a day of transfer?

With that time and that budget you have lots of fantastic options.

I would second Wakatobi. We also went there for our 25th anniversary and it was fabulous. We had not done much tropical pacific diving except for Hawaii; the corals and life were amazing. The resort is lovely too, and the food is wonderful.

You should certainly go somewhere in the Pacific zone of the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Palau... Lots of land-based options. Do you want wrecks, sharks, nudibranchs, weird critters in the muck, drift dives with current...? Are you heavy into photography, or not? Staying in full luxury with lots of service, or keen on seeing more of the way the locals live by being at a place in a village? What's your tolerance for multiple flights and car/boat transfers to arrive at your destination? Spend 12 days at one place, or 6+5 with a day of transfer?

With that time and that budget you have lots of fantastic options.

Thank you so much for the detailed response...

Both of us love the opportunity to experience different cultures so we do not have to stay at a resort. My husband likes to shoot video while I focus on still shots, especially macro, so we would like to be in a place where we can see marine life that is different then what we have experienced in the Caribbean. The idea of going several places would be ideal as we want to take the opportunity to see as much as possible both above and below the water as we venture to a different part of the world. The only tricky part will be that we do need the ability to call home as our parents are both aging so the ability to check the Homefront is a must. Thank you again for all of your advice.

Let me repeat Altaskier's question in my own way....

Do you want wrecks, sharks, nudibranchs, weird critters in the muck, drift dives with current...?

I would phrase it, "Are you comfortable with..." current diving, small boat backrolls and immediate descent, shooting an SMB, small boat (RIB or panga) re-entry, night diving?

The answers to that would tailor my answer to your broad question to very specific destinations. Wakatobi is the current gotta-go destination that everyone is aware of through publicity. "For a few dollars more", you can go to places that no-one is really aware of... yet. Depends upon your bag-o-knowledge in terms of SCUBA skills. Are you more drawn to larger boats with great ladders?

So, what are you ready to deal with? That really matters in terms of exotic destinations.

What's your tolerance for multiple flights and car/boat transfers to arrive at your destination?

An important unaddressed question. The relationship of good spinal health is sometimes inversely proportionate with the moment in life where you have enough money to travel like an explorer. Travel to the good stuff can be daunting. (I have minions and pills)

The only tricky part will be that we do need the ability to call home as our parents are both aging so the ability to check the Homefront is a must. Thank you again for all of your advice.

The places that I might suggest~ that type of comm would be improbable outside of a Satphone. But in a broader perspective, I understand your desire. I have been there, as have those in my charge. The UGLY TRUTH: Problem is, about all you get is some information to fret over- there is usually no speedy way to get out, much less make the return travel. Usually the clock tolls by the time you hit the door back home. Any number of travelers have told me that they would rather be unknowing- and exactly echoed by some of their ailing loved ones left behind. If you are really making this a priority, understand the parameters of what your possible reactions could be.

We're good with the back rolls, immediate descent, and we prefer small boats. We are both in excellent health ourselves and stay fit, so we can pull ourselves back into a boat. We are advanced open water certified and have 150+ dives in 3 years, we try to take 3 diving trips a year. We've dove Cozumel and pretty much experienced all of what you had mentioned and then some... We did a drift dive that had the speed of a carousel on LSD...we're still laughing about that. You're right about calling home but it's hard to break habits developed over decades :)... This trip will probably be our one shot to dive that side of the world so I really want it to be as memorable as possible. I will admit I am far more adventuresome than my husband.... He really likes to stay connected to home. With that being said I'd like to find someplace that is a compromise. Again I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

Reactions: Doc
... We did a drift dive that had the speed of a carousel on LSD...we're still laughing about that.

Current? You will be pointed toward dives that are more like crack. Cozumel comparatively is a mild breeze. But that preparation in Cozumel is a good thing, nothing "harder", just "more differenter". Okay, you're good with that, how about adding to that- muck diving at night? Lots of great dives available.

Shooting any still or video at night in current on the grey bottom muck can be extremely rewarding.

You like? http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Do...ines Puerto Galera Sabang Beach?sort=3&page=1

The SoPac (including the comparatively easily accessed Wakatobi) and the Indian Ocean environs is where I would point you. Palau, Maldives (Lux AI's are the land based alternative), the Red Sea (best by liveaboard, but really not a lot of rough seas!), that kind of thing. Truk (Chuuk) has it's allure, but they will take you to deep wrecks- that's what people go there for. There are dive opportunities further out including the PNG and Solomons, and go nuts... Vanuatu. I would skip Fiji, Samoa, Bali and the GBR.

Well under your exotic budget, but places I place very high on the list: Land based Galapagos (Scuba Iguana/Isla Santa Cruz), and Philippines (Atlantis/Batangas Beach)

I wish I had your problems!

You will likely return home with a smile that big!

Heaven would be a week in Palau and a week in Lembeh straits. Sam's land based for Palau and multiple options for Lembeh. Palau has magnificent big stuff, Lembeh has some of the best muck diving in the world. WOO WOO . Somebodies gonna have fun!

Back
Top Bottom