Good bang-for-bucks shallow snorkeling for a little kid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

Where could I take my 6-yr old to snorkel in easy, safe, shallow waters with some good fish life? We're in the US, so anything in or close to the US is best.

Thanks,

Joss

I've heard Red Reef Park in Boca Raton, FL is a good place for this. One of my friends used to go there with his family, including children that were 3-6 years old. I've not been there myself, though. The seas in this area can range from glassy calm to shoulder high surf, with calmer weather tending to be in the summer and rougher seas tending to occur in the spring. If you check out one of the beach cams in the general area over a few days (Windjammer Resort or others) you can get a decent idea of what the sea states tend to be like.

Last edited:
Hawaii? Dozens of Snorkel Bob locations can't all be wrong...:D

On Maui check out Kapalua Beach, Old Airport Beach, Black Rock or Wailea Beach. Kihei is probably the most affordable area to stay in - lots of condos across the street from the beach. vrbo.com lists hundreds.

Near Kona there's Kahuluu Beach Park. It's 5-7' deep for a very long way out. And there's turtles there always. Lots of affordable condo options in that area also - or there's an older Sheraton that's supposed to be decent.

Or the Poipu Beach area around Kauai. There's even a breakwater protected "Baby Beach". It's actually interesting, you can step over the breakwater but only the little fish get in. Just with a mask I saw a lot of baby tangs, angels etc. inside. It's the south side and shielded by the island so almost always calm. The problem with Kauai is that some of the other "beach" entries are pretty rough over lava. I don't go to Oahu - too crowded IMO.

Building on the post above there's a snorkel trail at Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach also. Phil Foster Park - 2 acres, 6-10' deep. You can also snorkel at the adjacent Blue Heron Bridge but it's really a better muck dive.

Off the gulf coast we used to snorkel off Siesta Key - Crescent Beach there is called the best snorkel on the Gulf Coast. Didn't know that when we were there. I'd be hard pressed to name a 2nd site nearby though - it's a georgeous beach area because it's flat and sandy a long way out - not the best for snorkeling.

Or there's also the Keys. Lots of snorkeling but mostly from boats. Some of it surprisingly is really shallow though - even farther out. I've stood up on a sandbar out so far I couldn't clearly make out people on the beach. Florida Keys Scuba Diving Vacation planning | Florida Keys Snorkeling

There's also good snorkeling off San Diego in La Jolla. But that water is always cold - even in the summer it's probably a full 5-7mm wetsuit for a 6-year old. http://www.kpbs.org/news/2007/jul/31/best-snorkeling-spots/

If you want to venture a little farther out see if you can get to St. Thomas reasonably. Coki Beach is a known snorkel site, it's shallow, they also do Snuba there - that has a 12' hose so they're seeing something shallow. Sapphire Beach nearby is another.

St. John - a 20min. ferry ride over - has Trunk Bay - there's a snorkel trail there. And several other nearby beaches have good snorkeling also. Snorkeling St. John Virgin Islands There's a car ferry from the East End so you can "drive" over for the day - St. John is a lot pricier to stay on than St. Thomas.

Last edited:
Since you are on the west coast, I would say Hawaii also. BUT snorkeling with a 6 year old may not be easy. Unless they are a good swimmer and comfortable in the water, it may be rough. Shallow and shore diving can be surgy and can also have things like sea urchins to watch for... and splashing alot will muck up the vis. As I said, a 6 year old snorkeling may be difficult and stressful.

Hawaii then Avalon, Catalina...
From West Coast. Keys if Florida an option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My kids favorite spot to snorkel was La Jolla Marine Park in La Jolla, Ca. We saw Leopard Sharks, Sea Bass, Sea lions, Gerabaldi, eels, lobster and everything you could think of in cool, clear water. One of the prettiest areas I've been to. They loved it so much, they ended up spending summers at the CIMI camp on Catalina Island. I couldn't get them back to Mi. Have fun and enjoy the time when they are small. My favorite area was anywhere in the Florida Keys, warm water and plenty of fish from Seahorses to Sharks.Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom