Where to go - Mexico/Central America/Carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an13743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have been spoiled in going to Bonaire several times and looking for somewhere else to go. The problem is that almost every we look the standard package seems to be 2 tank boat dives a day and don't see options for more dives. Since we are not "sit on the beach" type people, we want to do 3-5 dives a day (Nitrox of course). Other than a live aboard, does anyone know of any dive packages in the Carribean, Mexico, or Central America that includes 3-4 dives a day? Is Bonaire really the only place other than a liveaboard that offers this kind of flexibility?

why only 2 tanks a day? When I was in Cozumel I used to do 3-4 dives a day sometimes, morning session and then afternoon the boat goes back out for 2 more dives. Sometimes I would do 1 afternoon dive in addition to 2 morning dives. Never been to Bonaire though but I have heard it's mostly shore diving??

At Deep Blue - the AI resort on Utila we did three.
Boat Dives, we do three boat dives every day 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon, except Tuesday and Thursday where we do a night dive instead of the afternoon dive.
I believe Laguna Beach resort is similar. Both have shore dives also - as does the other AI resort - Utopia Village - I don't think there's much opportunity for shorediving elsewhere on Utila though. The AI's are all about a 5-10min. boat ride to town - no way to drive.

Some of Roatan's West End shops do 4 since they often return to the shop between dives. We liked: Coconut Tree Divers | Roatan, Bay Islands | PADI Boat dives in that area are about 10/$300.

Cocoview does 4 if you count the two daily drop-off dives on their house reef. They have the best shore dive on the island there also. Full AI, they even pick you up.
Two boat trips daily include a one tank dive at a moored dive site with an optional "drop-off" dive on the route back to the resort, for up to four boat tanks daily. On a drop-off dive, your boat will heave-to, and guests who have requested a drop-off tank will exit. The boat will then continue to the marina and divers can follow the wall back to our beach on their own.

You can shore dive 4x/day on Curacao is you plan it. It's easy if you do 2 dives/site but even without that some sites are within a 5min. drive of each other. One difference between Bonaire and Curacao is that almost every major dive site has it's own on-site operator. Like Buddy's, Relaxed Guided Dives has a tank pickup/fill location on the main road west. If you dive anywhere on Curacao's west side you'll pass it daily.

It's the same diving as Bonaire with easier entries but more distance between sites. Ocean Encounters does 2 AM dives and a shallower afternoon dive. With all the shore diving options we only did one boat dive all week. If you're looking for different diving than Bonaire - go elsewhere.

We also did 4 dives some days on Grand Cayman. 2 morning boat dives followed by 2 shore dives - often at the same site. Some operators like Ambassador also do 4 boat dives per day - others use their boat for the Kittiwake or Stingray City so often that's 3 dives total. Like everything else on Cayman, boat dives are expensive. 2/$100 is typical.

Last edited:
we want to do 3-5 dives a day (Nitrox of course). Other than a live aboard, does anyone know of any dive packages in the Carribean, Mexico, or Central America that includes 3-4 dives a day?

Cocoview does 4 if you count the two daily drop-off dives on their house reef. They have the best shore dive on the island there also.

Since the House Reef is that drop off dive, you bet I count them. I'm so crippled up I can barely walk, and I get 5x a day there very easily. Where else can you access an intact 140' wreck in 40fsw, five minutes from your room?

CCV, because of the "cool stuff is shallow" mantra, it's a place that will teach you that nitrox is an option, not a requirement, even at 5 dives per day. The South side of Roatan is a macro-shallow-Sunlit paradise for all sorts of cool critters.

Full AI, they even pick you up.

That is the least of what they do- it is a catered vacation, start to finish... but no white tablecloths or sluggish wait staff, tho.

In answer to your question- Coco View is a liveaboard that doesn't rock (back and forth). Aint nothin' else like it in the Caribbean.

I can't say for Central or South America, but we do 5 dives per day every day. 2 two tank charters and a 1 tank charter, if you wanted to tag along with all three charters we can easily hit 5 different dive spots in one day

it all depends too if you go in low or high season
we've been to Mayan Riviera at the Iberostar twice in each of the seasons and in the low season they went out only twice, in the high season was 2 morning and 2 afternoon, also stayed at Iberostar in Dominican and same thing, 4 dives a day plus night dives twice a week i think
all Iberostar resorts are serviced by Dressel Divers
in Roatan we stayed at Mayan Princess and dove with the onsite dive shop, excellent operation, and they did 2 morning and 2 afternoon dives

Other than a live aboard, does anyone know of any dive packages in the Carribean, Mexico, or Central America that includes 3-4 dives a day?

I like the way you think. I'll assume you're in the U.S. I, too, love Bonaire. If looking for a high dive count week in the Caribbean, I'd consider...

1.) Bonaire - but you're after something different.

2.) Curacao - if someone else were driving. There are a number of threads comparing the 2, and others have commented.

3.) Roatan, if you stay at a resort with a good shore dive. CocoView seems the favorite; I think Reef House Resort is nearby, somewhat similar, and a tad cheaper if I understand correctly. I'd try CCV first, and if they were booked up, look into Reef House Resort. Haven't been to Roatan yet.

4.) Since Laguna was mentioned as a resort on Utila, catch the recent trip report posted on that. Looks rather nice.

5.) I spent a week in Key Largo, dove with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, and crammed 20 dives into 5 days. Enjoyed it. My trip report. As dive trips go, this was quite the budget trip, and featured both shallow reef dives and deep wrecks with goliath grouper.

6.) St. Croix as some shore diving; check out the web page for Cane Bay Dive Shop. I think you can do shore dives to supplement your boat diving. Sounds like kind of a long swim out. Be mindful if you consider pier dives that you may not be able to do one with a ship docked.

7.) They say Grand Cayman has some shore diving. Cobalt Coast and Sunset House seem popular.

8.) I believe either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac have some shore diving; there's been a thread discussing that.

Richard.

P.S.: Bonaire is about as constant climate as you're going to get, I suspect, so be mindful other destinations are more seasonal. The rainy season in Roatan is a lot more important than in Bonaire, from what I understand, and the Keys water can get a tad cool in winter.

Thank you everyone for your replies! We have been to CocoView in Roatan as well as Utila (the request by us of 1-2 more dives a day was accommodated, but looked at us like we had an second head when we asked). We also have been to Curacao and St Martaan, Saba and Statia on some of our first dive trips. We have learned on our trips we prefer being under water than laying on the beach, which is where my original post comes from. Still open to more suggestions if you have them!

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

it all depends too if you go in low or high season
we've been to Mayan Riviera at the Iberostar twice in each of the seasons and in the low season they went out only twice, in the high season was 2 morning and 2 afternoon, also stayed at Iberostar in Dominican and same thing, 4 dives a day plus night dives twice a week i think
all Iberostar resorts are serviced by Dressel Divers
in Roatan we stayed at Mayan Princess and dove with the onsite dive shop, excellent operation, and they did 2 morning and 2 afternoon dives

Do you recall how much the dives were with Dressel? I tried finding prices on their website without any luck.

How about posting all the places you've been or don't want to go so we don't waste both our time time suggesting those?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom