Travelling Soon....Need HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone. I need some help. I kinda scammed my way outta Christmas shopping, by promising my girlfriend a trip down south. I've been to Cozumel and the mayan riveria a couple times already, so she doesnt want to go there. And we both wanna do some great diving, but not just diving. we wanna take in some culture. Not just be drunk on a all inclusive beach. So where can i take her. I can't really take enuf time off work to do a trip to the far east, so i'm kinda limited to the Americas. Anyone have any suggestions for me. I was thinking maybe something like a week on land, week on a liveaboard. Any Suggestions or experiences would be great. Thanks everyone. love this site!

I don't know what all else you guys like to do besides diving; are you talking:

1.) Civilization-related - like visiting Mayan ruins, or Spanish forts, or viewing unusual architecture?

2.) Adventure sports - zip lining, para-sailing, hiking, ATV romps, horseback riding, maybe deep sea fishing?

3.) Nature-related - rain forest walking tours, zoos, cave tours, etc...?

4.) What is your idea of 'culture?' Ethnic locals with accents and regional food, foreign architecture, ruins, etc...?

While it's not getting far from Mexico, have you considered Belize? Or do you need to go farther afield?

You know, if you do 1 week of diving, and 1 week of 'other,' you could do them in different places. Like a week on a live-aboard diving Turks & Caicos, then a week exploring the natural offerings of Belize, etc... I'm not dissing Belize diving, just using it as an example.

Or a week in Bonaire or Curacao shore diving, then a quick flight to spend a week enjoying Aruba. Might help keep the airfare down.

Richard.

Reactions: Doc
Probably Belize wold be high on my list. A liveaboard there is an excellent trip and then a week or so exploring the country. Lots to see and do. Costa Rica would be number two, but the diving is only so so. The rest of the country is worth spending some time to explore.

Frankly, I believe you'd both enjoy the whole two weeks in Belize with no liveaboard. Go to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, spend a week diving and enjoying the island then move inland to take in more culture and checkout Mayan ruins including the ATM cave day trip.

Belize would make my list also.

The two liveaboards (Belize Aggressor/Sun Dancer) leave from Belize City which is where the intl' airport is. I'm pretty sure both pick you up there. After you return either fly/ferry over to Ambergris or fly south to Dangriga/Placencia - from there many of the non-dive Belize attractions are accessible. Ambergris is a little isolated by geography. So are the atoll resorts, many only offer once/twice a week transfers so you'd have no chance to see the land-based attractions. Like: Vacation Activities in Unique, Unspoiled Belize | TravelBelize.org

Splash Dive in Placencia is who my friends used. If you can time it right this spring, you can dive with Whale Sharks off Gladden Spit. Splash also can set up a lot of the non-dive inland activities. Hamanasi is another option if you really want to make it up to her. If you really, really have to, Turtle Inn - that Coppola place nearby...:wink:

The problem with splitting destinations outside of the ABC islands is that a lot of connections only route back thru either Miami, Houston or Dallas so you burn two days getting between Caribbean destinations that are barely hundreds of miles apart.

Other possibiliities for combo LOB/island trips are Turks/Caicos (Aggressor or Explorer), Grand Cayman(Aggressor) or Roatan/Utila. You could even do the MV/Pearl out of Utila then fly over to Belize for the 2nd week. Tropic Air in Belize flies to Roatan/San Pedro Sula. Both are connecting points for flights to/from Utila. Or stay on Roatan. All are not as good from the non-dive perspective though.

The Turks/Caicos boats are currently off the Dominican Republic doing whale snorkeling till next month. And when they return, the best of what they dive can also be accessed via day boat from Provo so that seems redundant. Not a lot of cultural stuff on Provo but a lot of exceedingly nice beaches. Grand Turk is smaller, just a few resorts but the cruise port is there.

Cayman Aggressor might hit all three islands this time of year, weather permitting but Grand Cayman (port) is light on other cultural activities. And the Sister Islands are really light on everything but good diving. Not that I'm faulting that, Little Cayman is some of the best diving in the Caribbean from what I've read.

Last edited:
i've actually been looking through belize and all the places mentioned. and i want to do them all. lol. the only problem i have with alot of these places, is getting there. i'm in eastern canada, and the only way for me to get to belize is with multiple flights, with a stop over in houston. given that i was a criminal record, i dont know if i'd even be able to stop over in the U.S. The last time i was in mexico, i rented a car and it was great. I was thinking maybe we could fly in cancun, (because its cheap) rent a car. do a couple days in cozumel, maybe some cenotes and any other cool diving we can find.. then drive to belize. maybe even further. has anyone drivin across borders. with rentals?? i really like being able to do my own thing

Definitely Belize. Been there many times. If Diving is a BIG priority definitely schedule Belize Aggressor III, or Sun Dancer II. If you want a super casual laid back island experience go to Caye Caulker, which of course has diving services. If you want a little more luxury Ambergris Caye (San Pedro). If you want some jungle adventure there are many jungle lodges inland in Belize. For those who want to be in a Disneyland-like destination, Belize is probably not the place unless those folks limit their travels to San Pedro. If you like some good adventure, English speaking friendly people that is close and very accessible............ Belize is the place to go...

Back
Top Bottom