Diving in July recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm from the UK and would like to go diving in July for my 30th eeek. Would love to see dolphins, whales, whalesharks - I know I'm not a proper diving not really into the tiny stuff :)

I'm rescue certified with about 60+ dives. I've been to Bali and Borneo before so would like to try somewhere different.

Anyone any tips on where might be a good place to spot the big fella's during July...

Will be travelling from the UK so Asia side tends to be more affordable but anywhere isn't out of the question...

Thanks for your advice

We just cancelled our trip to Egypt due to the political unstable situation and now are thinking about going to the Azores

With 60+ dives under your belt, you qualify for the "Simply the best" livebaord itinerary in the Red Sea. You'll have a choice of reasonably priced boats (flights included from the UK) and the big stuff are commonly seen.

I am surprised that Mr Cedric did not suggest Bali. OK, July might be a bit windy but there is a chance of seeing the fascinating Ocean Sunfish along with manta rays and sharks too.

Dolphins, whales and whalesharks is an awful tall order. It has only happened once in my life - probably never to happen again. July 2007 in Cocos. Along with sharks, and mantas too. Of the places that I have been to, Cocos, along with the Galapagos, would be my #1 recommendation.

The only other place that I've been to that comes to mind is Malpelo in Colombia (decent chance for dolphins and whalesharks, with a very remote chance for whales).

Revillagigedos in Mexico also, but July would not be the right season.

I've never been to the Red Sea so can't comment.

And the following I've also never been to but are worth considering due to their relative proximity to the UK.

The Azores are reputed to have a lot of big stuff - whales and dolphins for sure - but haven't heard of whalesharks there.

And lastly, the Sardine Run in S. Africa, but July could be a bit late, and I've never heard of whalesharks in the mix.

If you will settle for any of the above individually, then around that time frame:

Minke Whales in Oz, and Humpbacks in Tonga and Tahiti.

Whalesharks: Isla Mujeres in Mexico, Cenderawasih in Indonesia or Oslob in the Philippines.

Dolphins: Atlantic Spotted Dolphins and sometimes Bottlenose in Bimini and the Bahamas.

Good luck.

Manuel Sam some if not all of your recommendations are for more advanced divers IMO.

Hi Helen,

I went on holiday to Dumaguete in the Philippines 3 years ago... and I never left.

I would highly recommend Atmosphere Resorts in the Dumaguete area and right now the marine life there is blooming (see Facebook for more info) as well as the being Apo Island very near by. I appreciate that this area is best know for it's tiny creatures but there is the opportunity to snorkel with Whale Sharks and, while it is not common, (it DID happen yesterday) dolphins will often accompany you along you trip to Apo. The resort also offers a wealth of activities outside of diving or if you wanted to pamper yourself their spa is amazing!

Let me know if you would like any more info...

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom