Help: Indonesia (Wakatobi), Maldives, or Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingleton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Trying to decide where to go on my first big luxury dive trip. Heard fantastic reviews about Wakatobi had a couple friends go there. Thinking of their Liveaboard and maybe combo island stay.

Was originally thinking to go to Maldives (before hearing about Wakatobi) because I want to see large animals, Whale Sharks and huge Manta's, etc.

In my research, I heard a lot of people talk about Phuket and having enjoy Phuket more than Maldives and some more than Indo.

It will be 4 of us (including my teenage daughter who is advanced diver).

Can any help me narrow down choices and possibly even recommend some resorts/ LOB's in Maldives or Phuket if that seems to be one of the winners. In terms of timing - thinking July/August of this year.

Thank You

Have never had the pleasure of visiting Wakatobi, so I cannot comment, but have dived around Phuket and Maldives several times and I would chose Maldives over Phuket anytime -maybe it was the coral decline around Phi Phi and the Similan islands that put me off). Mind you, the vacation style is different (Phuket is a large island, one can go around, visit places whereas in the Maldives you are confined to a small island/resort -if you don't choose a liveaboard-which you can walk around usually in less than 45 mins - but, boy, it is paradise). I've stayed at the Four Seasons/Kudaa Huraa and the Medhufushi in the Maldives (diving in both places is great, plenty of mantas and reef sharks but no whalesharkas -I understand South Ari atoll is where you have most chances of spotting them).

I believe Maldives has some pretty big current for many dives. Consider your experience level and fitness level when choosing where to go. I think it is only a race between Maldives and Indo.

Not sure what the diving is like right around Phuket, you really have to take a liveaboard to the Similans or beyond (we went all the way to Burma Banks) to get the good stuff from what I've heard. And our dives weren't exactly teeming with pelagics. Galapagos and Cocos are much closer to you and great for that, but again they're liveaboards and even luxury liveaboards aren't really luxury, they're merely comfortable. Rangiroa is also relatively close and the Kia Ora Hotel looked pretty nice when I visited, plus you can have all the luxury you want on a side trip to Bora Bora (and lots of sharks to boot).

Wakatobi was a great resort and would be especially luxurious if you stayed in one of the villas instead of the more rustic bungalows, though you'll probably have a better chance of seeing pelagics off the Pelagian, the diving was 100% macro for me.

No comment on the Maldives. On the bucket list, but no plans soon.

Given the choice of the three you are considering....id leave phuket off the list. Rangiroa by comparison makes Phuket diving look like a dirty pond.....good diving in the Similans up to Burma Banks in thailand but Phuket is not what I would consider topnotch diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom