best gear to travel with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teartear

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
as my dive trips are always combined with general backpacking trips, i'm extremely limited in what diving equipment i can take. i'm a relatively new diver so i don't have any equipment yet, and i'm trying to decide what would be the best and lightest pieces of equipment to take with me. i'll definitely bring a dive computer and a mask, and i'm then tossing up between a wetsuit or fins, both of which are quite heavy (relatively speaking). the advantage of fins is that i can practice my finning technique back home before i travel (which is somewhat necessary) and i can get a pair of fins that are less likely to cause cramps (something i have an issue with at times). however it might just be nice to have my own wetsuit. opinions?

The added bulk of fins or wetsuit both seem like a nuisance for backpacking. Fins almost seem like a no-brainer to skip, but there are fins that are smaller/lighter and still suited for diving, so it's worth considering. In my experience rental fins are often not so great, even if fit isn't an issue. Travel fins is a topic that gets discussed often enough and you might search for - here's one discussion currently going on.

If you have mask/fins/snorkel with you, you're all set to go snorkeling anytime if you're places that might be an option. If that sounds like a possibility maybe look at the soft rollup snorkels and see if you think they would be easier to carry. Something like this. And you can easily stuff them in the pocket of a rental BC, just try not to forget. :wink:

Of course it's nice to have your own wetsuit. If that's too much weight or bulk, what you might consider is a lycra skin. Not much to carry, and it can be between you and a rental suit. (Don't know your cold tolerance or where you plan to dive, but in tropical locations some people will use only that, or even a t-shirt.) A lycra skin would also give you better coverage if shorties are the only things available for rent, which will be the case some places.

i know that not taking fins seem like a no brainer but i figured i could quite easily strap one to each side of my pack. i'll be travelling pretty light otherwise and it wouldn't be too much of an issue. i'll have to look into some travel fins as well though.

as we are travelling around the US first, then going to cozumel/PDC at the end of our trip (where all our diving will be done), i could probably pick up a wetsuit in the US before we fly to cozumel. that way i don't have to carry it around for the whole trip yet i can still dive in my own stuff.

the other option is, as you mentioned, is a skin. i was looking at the fourth element thermocline which i've heard good things about and i figure something like that could work. i tend to get quite cold diving and i can imagine rental suits in cozumel will be shorties which might be problematic. i could get a skin or something like the thermocline and layer on a rental suit if necessary.

that aires BCD looks good, you're right. definitely an option to consider, appreciate it, thanks.

A cold water or hooded vest can make a big difference with a rental shorty and it's not bulky or heavy..bring some fins...mask snorkel...you want to be able to snorkel with familiar gear I think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wherever in the world backpackers travel, good gear rental options are available. Take 25 minutes and learn how to examine a BCD and Reg Set for servicability, then rent and go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom