Caribbean or Red Sea ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's like asking chicken or beef?

what do you want to do? what do you want to see? what is your budget? what are you planning to do when NOT diving? are you traveling alone or with someone who dives or a non-diver?

I am planing my next dive holidays.
I live in Portugal.
I travel with my wife (non diver ) and a child (13 diver )

We know grand cayman , Bahamas (Nassau ) , Madeira , Azores ...

I am planing a family holidays or a live aboard (alone )

I like photography.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think if you do a forum search for Raja Ampat, and Live-aboard, you'll get the sense that it's said to be great diving. I have not been there, as I've stuck to Florida and the Caribbean, but from the forum, it's my understanding a Red Sea live-aboard will probably give you the better diving.

I'll be interested to see whether anyone argues the opposite.

Richard.

I think the Red Sea is better if you are interested in "real" wrecks. There are a lot of WWII and other wrecks at recreational depths there, and some of them are really lovely.

I think the Caribbean is better if you are looking for resorts where divers and non-divers can both have a good time.

The best places I dove in the Red Sea are only reachable by liveaboard -- The Brothers Islands, Elphinstone, and Daedalus reefs, for example. In contrast, Grand Cayman has beautiful walls and you can headquarter on land and use day boats.

It all depends on what kind of a trip you want to have.

Last edited:
Go to Belize.

do a week on a liveaboard and then do a week inland doing adventure activities.

Something for everyone and will get you a little out of your comfort zone!

In contrast, Grand Cayman has beautiful walls and you can headquarter on land and use day boats.

Not a good contrast that tbh. You're ignoring Shark reef (a gorgeous vertical wall that plunges to 700+ meters), Shark Observatory (also known as the Ras Mohammed wall) - one of the most exquisite walls in the Red Sea - and Ras Za'atar, again in the Ras Mohammed National Park. In the Strait of Tiran, Thomas and Jackson reefs are world class sites. Umm Sid, Nasrani, Ras Ghamila are also cracking local sites. And you can headquarter on land and use the daily boats for all. If you enjoy macro photography, there are also great sites around Sharm - including sites in the Ras Mohammed Park and Nabq - accessible from shore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where do you live??...ie where's your 'starting off' point??

EDIT..:..ooops-should have scrolled, a bit.......I'd choose the RS then.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom