Costa Rica: Best hotel for easy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey first-time poster here. My wife and I are looking to do 2 days of diving while in Costa Rica (July), and wanted to find a hotel where we can just wake up and get on the boat without having to drive, etc. We want to try to hit the Catalina Islands and Playa Del Coco.

I was about to book Ocotal Dive Resort since they have a shop/boats right on site, but now I'm put off by some poor reviews of the place on TripAdvisor. One guy said he checked in and they cancelled some of the dive trips while he was there since they couldn't always get the minimum people signed up for a boat.

Anyone have any experience with this place? Thanks!

I had a great time at Ocotal Beach Resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update from my last week diving at Ocotal:

The Ocota Beach Resort is a mere shadow of what it was last year. It's running VERY low occupancy and the lack of maintenance and support is really showing. "Word on the street" is that the current owner is suing the owner before and that he's unwilling to invest any more effort or money into the place. Its best feature, the swim-up bar near the beach, is closed.

This time, my family and I stayed at a condo (through VRBO) at Los Almendros de Ocotal, which is the same condo complex that houses Rocket Frog Divers, a wonderful dive operation. With the Father Rooster restaurant across the street providing great food and drink right on the beach, it's a great place to stay. A trip into Playa de Coco for "more action," is only a short cab ride away.

I just went on Trip Advisor, Ocota Beach Resort was given 4 of 5 on the review with 233 reviews from average to excellent and only 82 rating poor or below. You will always find naysayers, bottom line, the comforts aren't the same in tropical areas as they are in middle America.

I say go for it and have fun. What do you have to lose?

82/315 = 26% of guests thinks the place sucks.
That's way on the high side....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom