? Anyone Using Travel Insurance & Actual Cancellation Claim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda22

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is the first time I have ever considered buying Trip Cancellation or Interruption Insurance. I have a pretty pricy trip planned to various islands in Indonesia and am worried about the possibility of having to cancel because of health issues with a member of my family.

I have DAN Master Dive Insurance.
Their Travel Insurance page quotes one the most expensive rates I have seen and only states it covers you if you cancel for a covered reason but doesn’t give the reasons for cancellation that would be covered.

Today I have spent hours online and looked at all of the recommended sites.
When I think I find something good I check reviews and they all have horrible critiques if you actually have to use the insurance. It appears as though you should forget spending money on travel insurance because they will have some tiny exclusion clause that makes the insurance invalid.

Has anyone had experience with this and could make a helpful recommendation?
I guess the fact that the trip also involves scuba can be a reason for exclusion and I can’t call DAN until Monday or maybe Tuesday due to the holiday. Also would really like to find a better rate than DAN if it’s out there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

We buy complete trip insurance for all of our scuba trips via our travel agent (up here in Canada). We have never used DAN.

We get a single policy that covers medical and cancellation from a single carrier so no bickering about who covers what or if it was a "diving" accident. We have used it twice for trip interruption (both snow storms) with no issues (one included a $700 water taxi fee to catch up to a live aboard!)

I believe the cost is around %10 of your total trip cost.

We have begun to travel enough that we are looking at a single annual blanket policy instead of per trip in order to reduce costs.

Just checked Travel Guard. The quote was almost $100. more than DANs and I do see more of the same type of negative reviews. 18 negative vs. 5 positive. Have you ever had to use it?

giffenk- Do remember which carrier you used?

Did you book any of yourctrip on a credit card? You may find that the first two weeks or various portions are covered. If so, talk to your credit card company. They'll be able to help sort you out at lesst in portion. Came in very handy on my last trip and certainly reduced the cost of balance of insurance I needed to purchase.

Yes, I got some dives refunded due to a hurricane a couple of years ago. It worked pretty well actually. There were several of us on the trip and everyone that had the insurance was refunded the proper amount. I had booked the trip with the LDS and they were helpful in knowing how to get things done.

giffenk is in Canada, probably a whole different set of rules and carriers. IDK

Just checked Travel Guard. The quote was almost $100. more than DANs and I do see more of the same type of negative reviews. 18 negative vs. 5 positive. Have you ever had to use it?

giffenk- Do remember which carrier you used?

Thanks dmoore19. I have some time to purchase. I'll call Travel Guard and DAN next week. Many of the companies I checked have offices in multiple counties so I was curious about a success story.

CinC-My cc will pay $1500 for a cancellation. Better than nothing, I guess. However they do pay for lost luggage, so that's a plus. I have good medical coverage outside the US, so my main worry is this nagging feeling that something is going to go bad before I leave.

Travel Guard. Last year my wife broke her ankle 1/2 way through a two week dive trip to Palau and Yap. TG paid thousands and satisfied this lawyer. The insurance cost was about 7% of the trip cost. I take trip insurance for trips over $5k for the two if us.

Travel guard did well by us for our last trip in Dec 13 which got delayed 2 days by airport closures (DFW Ice Storm). They covered hotel rooms in Dallas, alternate travel and reimbursed for lost nights at the destination, plus meals and incidentals. Bottom line was to submit documentation which supported the claim. It was a non issue and we received a check within about 10 days

The OP has a specific need related to a family member's health and if the family member is not an immediate family member it's going to be next to impossible to get coverage - an ailing parent for instance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom