Dive trip to Big Island of Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrannieC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I have made several dive trips to Maui but are considering a 2 week trip to the Big Island, staying in Kona. We are concerned there may not be "enough" diving for a 2 week trip. We also plan to explore the island as this will be our first trip to the BI. I would appreciate any words of wisdom regarding 2 weeks on the Big Island. We will be renting a condo in Kona. We don't need to dive everyday, but like to dive 3-4 times per week. Looking for some good advice!! Its easy to go to "what we know" which is Maui/ Lanai, but what fun is that, right?

MUST do dives are the night manta and the black water / aka pelagic magic dives. (I prefer Kona Honu, but other ops are very good, too.)

Kona has good boat dives and lots of great shore dives.

I just got back from a week of diving there and could easily and joyfully have done a second week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I dove Kona for 8 days and didn't get bored...although if you stick with the same opp for that many days you might do repetitive sites. I think you should be okay for two weeks, although you might want to dive Kona for a few days and then dive the kohala coast for a few. I highly reccomend Kona Dive Company (IMHO) the best operator in Kona. Big Island Diving is great too and does the Pelagic (which KDC doesn't). In Kohala I'd use Kohala divers for boat dives and tanks (consider shore diving Puako a couple times). You should definitely plan to spend at least two days on the Volcano (more if you hike or like geolofy, and if you like snorkeling consider a few days in Kapoho where you can snorkel the Wai Opae tide pools and the Champagne pond. The snorkeling is awesome but its all to shallow for diving.

Big Island Divers also offers "long range dives". Pay a bit more, but you travel on a smaller (maybe 6 to 8 max) fast boat to locations further south. 1.5 to 2 hour ride to get to them.

Aside from the diving, you could easily spend 2 weeks on the island topside and not get bored.

Big Island is every bit as good as Maui, IMHO, and you can do night dives, which means more diving. As far as op, consider also Jack's Diving Locker. If you plan to do Manta dives, ask who will take you on a tour around the reef at the end of that dive instead of just sitting for 40 min. in one spot, that way it gets more interesting. I don't remember which op it was who did that, could have been Jack's, or maybe somebody else. Also, there are some ops, I won't point fingers, who like to really micro-manage divers... This works well for the pelagic night dive, not so great during Manta watching... The first time I did that, the op first very much insisted that I get obscenely overweighted, which made me extremely uncomfortable, then they kept pestering me during the dive with all sorts of petty complaints... really annoying, and made the dive considerably more unsafe (no problems doing the exact same dive with a few other ops).

Diving4ever gave same advice I would..I nite and day snorkeled kapoho tide pools and it was great too...Jacks is good and will give you a map to Kona shore dives...lots to see on BI...A couple days based near Hilo is good too..esp topside.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We will be in the BI, June 7-14 to do twilight/Manta dive and long shore dive w KDC and Blue Wilderness Adventure for diving Koala Coast since I'm staying in the Wiokoala area. Both company seems to have good reviews. I hope to do some wreck diving w enough divers if not it's am boat dives instead of long shore dives. I hope I'm doing the right thing splitting it up w Kona and Koala Coast. I don't believe. I be able to shore dives since my buddy like to only do one dive per week, plus we have kids. Also, I'm sure no one wants to have a newbie on a shore dive ��.

I did the Night Manta dive a couple years ago and was very lucky to catch a glimpse of 1 doing a fly by. It was in March and whales were crashing the off shore surface every couple minutes for the whole super windy week. I don't know if it's a bit seasonal where the Manta results might be a little better at certain times of the year or not but just wanted to mention my experience. Also besides diving I was with 4 adults and we weren't sure if it would be everyone's cup of tea to ride their own ATV through the rain forest above the Waipio valley but it really turned out to be a hit it's beautiful up that way and I'd highly recommend it.

We are concerned there may not be "enough" diving for a 2 week trip. We also plan to explore the island as this will be our first trip to the BI. I would appreciate any words of wisdom regarding 2 weeks on the Big Island.
Besides the Volcanoes NP Akaka Falls is worth a stop. http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/hawaii/index.cfm?park_id=2 Probably do both the same day if you don't mind driving a lot. I could spend a day at the Hilton Waikoloa also - they have the Dolphin Programs, Stand-up Paddleboards or Kayaks in the lagoon there and all the beach activities on A-Bay nearby. You don't have to be a guest. Resort Activities | Hilton Waikoloa Village | Kohala Coast
I don't believe. I be able to shore dives since my buddy like to only do one dive per week, plus we have kids. Also, I'm sure no one wants to have a newbie on a shore dive ��.
Try Jack's Diving Locker, they do a paid shore dive either at Kona/Kailua Pier or a site nearby. Frequently with cruise pax so you likely won't be the only newbie. It's in Kona so you won't be gone long. The trolley runs right by there also if you want to leave buddy/kids with the car. Jack's is adjacent to Coconut Grove. Honu Express Shuttle Schedule Jack's gave someone I know a ride from their location to the dive site - IDK if that's normal. If it's the pier, you could walk over also. Or prepay and take the trolley there.

Do the kids snorkel? Kahuluu Beach Park has turtles all over. And is about 7' deep pretty far out. http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kahaluu_beach_park_snorkeling.html

Back
Top Bottom