carry on bag for regulators and camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwatr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are taking a dive trip in a few months and I am trying to figure out how to get my regulators/computers along with my underwater camera over to Hawaii. I was planning on getting a carryon bag to accomodate this stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should be looking at?

We use something like this to contain the regs:

TB091_01b.jpg

Which then goes into a hard-shell carry-on, together with the camera stuff and other more sensitive gear (dive computers...)

41ZkqSabrFL.jpg

I love the ThinkTank line of carry-on gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have just used an ordinary bag or backpack. you are carrying it so it won't get any hard knocks. extra padding is just extra bulk.

Reactions: Doc
I have the 22" TravelPro. Which I believe is the biggest allowed on some domestic arrriers. Mine has a fold out in the lid for a suit or dress pants/shirts. I find it perfect for my regs coiled up. I also bring a larger video housing - it also fits in the bottom with about 1/2 the space left. My mask conveniently fits around it. Boardshorts/shirts/toiletries etc. fill the rest. My laptop goes in the outer pocket nicely also. I almost never expand it either. Not the cheapest but it's what a lot of flight crews have.

Twice I've had to gate check my bag recently since all the checked bag fees started. I pull the laptop and passport and everything else can go safely since it has solid internal support. I suppose their hard shell version would be even better. Travelpro® Expandable Rollaboards

4071222.png

Padded backpack for reg, mask, misc. Hard pelican case for camera and all UW camera equipment (overprotected but better than under...). Wife uses a padded reg bag (very old) which she puts in her carry on bag (no camera).

Our system has worked well for many years, and consists of a hard pelican carry on for my camera and related gear, two backpacks and a smaller roller carry on which we use as a cabin bag. The camera bag and the two backpacks go into the overhead bins without difficulty, and the small bag stays at our feet. We put all necessary items in the backpacks, such as mask, regulators, a change of clothes, etc. Our bulky gear (BC's, suits, fins, most of our clothes and such) goes into checked bags. I have had to gate check the pelican bag a few times, especially when using asian based airlines. Usually, however, it all goes through with no problems.

I use the Pelican 1510 case, with padded dividers (NOT foam) and the lid organizer accessory. This is for traveling and boat dives. I can fit 3 regs, can light, computers, masks and full tools and accessories (in lid). The size is actually approved for airline carry-on travel and has wheels and a handle. I'm also very, very protective of the particular items I mentioned above. Think about it, dive gear is life support equipment. I would never jeopardize regs by checking them, and I want them as protected as possible in transit.

The dividers create much better spacing than foam for dive gear, and I'm sure you'll be able to configure it for your regs and camera together.

egubu7ys.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom