Faster Currents Komodo or Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I have dove Cozumel 3 times now and have flown past the reef in places like Punta Sur pretty quickly. How are the drift dives in Cozumel compared to those in Komodo? I'm reading that currents are fast there.:confused:

I'd say Komodo currents but my experience was if done right that you don't typically dive most Komodo sites as a drift dive. You tend to hide behind terrain there as opposed to purposefully staying in the current and floating along like Cozumel or Palau

+1 As above from Shasta_man, but questions about CCC (Comparing Cozumel Currents) always make me smile a bit. If you want to see CCC, most people never think of the Caribbean. Take a ride on the underwater breezes of Speyside Tobago and it will make Cozumel seem like a Sunday walk in the park.

Every locale is different, but currents should never be viewed as a force to be confronted or fought. You must go with them, understand how to use them to the best advantage, know how to "hide" from them using terrain and an understanding of "laminar flow"... and the BIG ONE: Understand that not all currents go -> or <-, some of them can go ^ and even v, taking you along with them. :hm: Now that can be a problem. Lots to learn, ask your local DM, do what they tell you to do.

Enjoy the ride.

Full disclosure, I have experience at Komodo only. The dives greatly vary, depending on lunar cycle, tides, and local conditions. Similar to many sites, experience does matter. I have had wonderful fast drift dives in Komodo, where it's difficult to hang on - just go with the flow. Other dives, we use delicately placed reef hooks - here upwelling and strong current are compressed along small pinnacles. And some dives, we move using microtopography, or we might experience little current. Without currents, you will not see many large fish, etc. A good LOB and crew will make sure that all works best for each site (tides...).

i am with Doc on this one. Currents do in all directions, depending on tides and lunar cycle, it's not a problem with a good DM or local experience. cmr

Just came back from Cozumel and was in Komodo 18 months ago....other posters are correct..Komodo more variable and erratic...geography varies quite a bit..use of hooks is common and hiding in nooks and ledges too..i found it more challenging...Cozumel sometimes reminds me of those airport moving sidewalks...both are great..Komodo well worth the effort esp if you havent been to that region..Bali is cool too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom