Grrr! Major airlines reduce carry-on limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Get out the tape measures! They cut 1" off of the maximums at American, Delta, and United...
The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin.

Personal item - includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you. For travel after June 11, 2014, the personal item does not have specific size requirements, but must be smaller than your carry-on bag and must fit under the seat in front of you.

Right...as if they have ever checked the size or weight.

I've only had that happen once. Return flight on Air Tahiti Nui from Tahiti back to LA. They weighed and measured ALL carry on. A lot got nicked and ended up checking those bags.

I'd be happy if they would charge the same for a checked bag or a carry on "bag". Then there would be plenty of room for those who really want the convenience of carryon rather than trying to save the cost of a checked bag. What would be the advantage of trying to stuff all your crap into an overweighted carryon that won't fit regardless? None, so you'd check it.

I just got back from a trip to Spain. We tried doing the carry-on only. We each had one carry bag that was of the proper size and weight. We each had a "personal" bag. That was it, just two. Think we could find an overhead bin? Nope. Folks getting on with three bags, huge things, etc. Best part is seeing the bins over your seat are full, yet there is NOBODY sitting in any seats around you yet. Just how does that happen? No, they weren't crew bags.

Paid the $25 and checking the two bags on the return trip.

its all a conspiracy. The airlines are in cahoots with the luggage industry. Now you have to buy new luggage....

if the low-life-scum behind the wall didn't steal so much stuff from your bags or intentionally kick the crap out of it, checked luggage wouldn't be such an avoided thing.....

its all a conspiracy. The airlines are in cahoots with the luggage industry. Now you have to buy new luggage....

Of all the conspiracy theories that one is the best! Almost makes sense too.

Seeing what some folks jam into the overheads recently, no worries. Some of that stuff would get excess baggage fees if they tried to check it. It's out of control already, so unless enforcement increases, it doesn't matter.

Of all the conspiracy theories that one is the best! Almost makes sense too.

That was my very first thought. Not the part about conspiracy but the psrt about new luggage.

And that said, I've been out of home country since May 16. Not returning home until nect week. Wonder what will happen in my circumstance.

Right...as if they have ever checked the size or weight.

Careful. I travel frequently for business and United and American have both gone into overdrive in the last month or two (with TSA amping up efforts as well) making people actually try to fit your bag into the sizer thing (which is way smaller than what you can actually fit--particularly the sizer for the seat in front of you, which makes no sense). Being premier and precheck seems to help (I don't even think they have sizers at the precheck lanes), but many people with supposed carry-on sized roller boards are being forced to check.

I have a bag that easily fits in the overhead and a briefcase that easily fits under the seat. Neither would fit in the sizer. Fortunately when traveling on UA they don't give me trouble because I have status, but I dread flying another airline in light of the crackdown I've seen to non-premiers on UA.

And also, I agree with you on the carry-ons. The excessive carry-ons resulting from checked bag fees actually delays aircrafts because the boarding process is so disrupted.

I did not see any enforcement on flights to & from DFW & Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and I did see excesses. I guess it'll vary, and be expensive when one gets busted.

I always worry about my tendency to over pack, but I did a week in Death Valley, Yosemite and several other parks between okay with a 30# checked bag, a legal roll-on, and my laptop backpack even with all of the extra stuff I felt needed. I was more worried about getting all 4 of us & bags into my Impala for the drive down to Abilene & back, but all my kids are more reasonable than I. We actually had free truck space!

The last night in Owens Valley, I did wash my shirts & shorts before the 2 extra nights in Vegas, and there was a really nice laundry next door to the motel, as promised. Better, I got to meet a WWII Marine Corps veteran who ran it. It's a shame he has to, living in a room in back even, but nice to meet him. My son-in-law is bigger than I, but they all seemed presentable enough wearing shirts 2 or 3 days of the trip. I just can't bring myself to do that. I like a fresh shirt every evening even camping. :silly: And then there was all the other stuff I felt I needed to take.

Too bad we couldn't bring back the huge cooler we bought the first night, but I guess someone at Hertz found it a good home. I guess Vegas residents always need more coolers.

Three airlines I'm glad I don't fly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom