Planning a graduation trip- suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riviera

New
Reaction score
# of dives
As per family tradition, my sister will be taking me on a graduation trip in a couple of years, so I am trying to figure out where we should go. The budget, at the moment, is about $2,000. I am not yet certified, but have plans to complete the certification before the trip, so I am looking for a place with plenty of choices for a beginning diver. I also want to go somewhere with a nice variety of dives- since I will have only been a diver for a short time, I want to use the trip to figure out what types of dives I like best. Also, since my sister loves hiking, it would be nice if there was good hiking nearby. Suggestions?

$2,000 each or $2,000 for both of you.
If it's for the both of you, your budget will dictate your choices.

In all honesty - if it's for both of you I would seriously consider Key Largo.

It is for both of us, but the budget will expand a bit in the next two years. When the time comes, I hope to have more like $3,500 to spend. $2,000 is what we have at the moment, though, and I think it is best to shoot low and plan for the worst case scenario. Thanks for the advice! From the cursory google search I did on it, Key Largo looks really nice.

You could drive to Key Largo - if need be.
There are dive sites there for all diving levels and there is a lot of stuff to see.
It is a very good first dive trip location.

You can get a package for two divers at Blue Angel in Cozumel for about $1600. Of course this doesn't include airfare and meals.

Most dive shops in Texas will have a group trip or two to Coz each year. Out of Austin, they run about $1k pp without food, drinks and tips.

Coz is great...but can get a little to crowded for my tastes.

I will throw in my suggestion for an all-inclusive dive resort. Two come to mind right away in Roatan Honduras; Cocoview and Anthony's Key Resort.

I have been to Anthony's and it was a truly great place. I suggest getting a private bungalow on the Key (island) and don't forget to do a dolphin dive and/or snorkel. They also have other water activities to do and you can take tours into town.

Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

While I have not yet been to Cocoview's it is very high on my "next dive destination" list - the Bay Island list. Cocoview's is more of a diver's resort...meaning they where built for divers and do a lot of diving. I like the idea of diving right up to my room. I have done the jungle canopy zip line thing and the bar hopping thing; now I just want to dive, dive, dive. They have a house reef that is suppose to be very good diving.

Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort

There are several reviews on SB about both resorts, with more on Cocoview as it is geared exclusively for divers and is quite popular.

Either AKR or Cocoview will wind up being close to $2K PP including flights if you go overwater. Not much less if you don't. The overwater bungalows at AKR are $1600 plus. Of course that includes all meals and diving. Cocoview is closer to $1300. Don't forget there's a 19% resort tax now - that's not included in the rate. For $4-500 less look at Reef House Resort - a little farther from everything but more reasonable. They have a shore dive also.

For a lot less look at the West End. One bedroom apts with kitchens are in the $60 range at Posada Arco Iris or several other places. Per apt. not PP. Dives there are 10/$300 with many operators. No real shore diving there though - it's all done by boat. Food is street vendors to one of the best restaurants in Central America. Most meals were $20 or less - that includes steaks at Argentinean Grille (more with drinks) But we also had $5 lunches at the Noodles Factory and $20 fed 4 of us at Rotisserie Chicken. Everything is close so a car isn't needed. If you want to put more into the diving/trip, there's two hostels also - Chillies and another one. Chillies is affiliated with Native Sons, IMO one of the best dive operators there. We liked Coconut Tree Divers - they also bundle their cabins in their dive packages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom