Looking for Fresh Water Large Animal Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations on Dive Sites Globally that offer fresh/estuarine dive opportunities with large or interesting animals.
Greenland Sharks on the St. Lawrence off the top of my head, any more ideas?

Many thanks!

Man O'tea?

Crystal River Fl is famous for manatee diving. It is hard to get bigger than a manatee. You could also try gators. They used to have one in Alexander Springs but they took her out.

Thanks for recommendations so far! Any more ideas apprecaited

From a little Googling...

Big Fish Encounters has trips to dive with American crocodiles.

Men's Journal has an article on diving with Nile Crocodiles, with Big Animals Expeditions.

I'd look at options for scuba diving freshwater rivers in Brazil. While the Amazon is a muddy river, not all water bodies down there are. I don't know what you might find in more clear areas, but at least some of the aquatic life overall includes different species of Amazon river turtle (including the yellow spotted), mata mata turtles, caiman (different species), anacondas, capybara, a kind of pink dolphin, arapaima, pirapitinga, red-tail catfish and more. Again, I don't know how many occur in water with good viz., and how many dive charters will take you to see, but might be worth researching...if a black caiman or piranha doesn't get you. And read up on the Candiru (vampire catfish) - while people debate the degree of threat, I for one would want to be wearing shorts that thing couldn't get into. Just say'in...

There is the question of what you consider 'big' and what is 'interesting?'

Richard.

Thanks Richard and Everyone else. Ideally I'm looking to see big fish hunting underwater, which isn't the easiest thing I appreciate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom