Flights are free, $2500 budget, live in Houston, want to go near but not Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy folks, two semi hippies who dive here. We are in great shape and have discovered diving in the last 7 years together. We've been to Roatan 4 times, Utila once and are looking to broaden our experience. We are both nitrox and advanced and we love of the beaten path resorts with fantastic diving. Any secret spots or recommendations for the Caribbean or Mexico or Belize? Frequent flyer miles are being redeemed for this trek. We are both in our early 40s.

Thanks everyone for any favorite spots you may covet. Budget is $2000-$2500

"Fantastic diving" was the criteria?

Assuming that we are talking Caribbean basin by your comments, you may have already encountered "the best if what's left" in that zone. Roatan has a lot to offer, but I suppose it depends on his you define fantastic. Roatan is a big island... Did you dive the South shore between French Key and Oak Ridge? Like nothing else in the Caribbean... Most divers have only dove the West and near North. Something to consider.

Otherwise, in the Mar Caribe, if you want off the beaten path, look at Los Roques, VZ or the North end if Tobago (Speyside). Both have very remarkable and unique diving, certainly to the Basin. In the case if these two, free airfare would be a very good thing.

Thanks Doc. I wasn't specific about fantastic. I know it's varied to everyone's tastes. I did dive the south side on two dives and loved it. I love the south side of Roatan more than any other location but so many places won't go over there but will charge a higher fee to make the drive. AKR sent us an email today and the deal is great but I've now dove every west dive 2-4 times. It's beautiful and when my wife and I go any where else and just snorkel we always end up saying, "we should have gone to Roatan" it's just our special place and we have friends there but I was thinking Coz or Belize but your suggestions sound enticing. I will look this places up. Thanks

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

Very cool t4e. Will investigate. Loving this.

Placencia in south Belize is a lot smaller so maybe more of what you want. The north part is a little more developed though - some beachfront resorts etc. The barrier reef there is a long boat ride out (hour?) though so typically 2 dives/day is about it. Nice shallow beach so no shore diving - at all. One draw there during full-moon weeks in spring is the Cubera Snapper spawn - that brings in the Whale Sharks. At Gladden Spit you can dive with them. Check Splash Dive's website - they list dates. Friends dove there a couple years ago - on two trips they dove with 8.

Also it's one area from which you can access a lot of the Belize eco stuff on day trips - Mayan Ruins, Cockscomb nature preserve, howler monkeys, cave tubing etc. Even more off the beaten path is Caye Caulker. Only two dive ops there - all I know about it.
we love of the beaten path resorts
In Cozumel? You're kidding right? :D

Near Cabo Pulmo is a site called El Bajo. Pretty interesting boat dive....:wink: http://www.cortezclub.com/diving/diveelbajo.shtml
This is one of the premier dive sites in the world for schooling Hammerhead sharks. Schools range from between six to hundreds travelling in a clockwise direction around the seamount for unknown reasons. While schooling, hammerheads are not aggressive, and reassuringly enough they actually appear disinterested in divers. As a seamount El Bajo is home to an abundance of sea life, mass schooling fish (amber jacks, tuna etc), octopus and the impressive Panamic Green moray; a colony of over fifty can be found in a small canyon. Aside from possible encounters with hammerheads frequent visitors to the seamount include; whale sharks and giant pacific manta rays. NOTE: this is an Advanced Open Water Dive.

Check into Dominica also. I don't know much about it except it's hard to get to. So that may have kept it less commercialized. I've always seen it listed as good diving location.

Saba would be off the beaten path. Only one small hotel, some guesthouses and few restaurants. No cruise traffic and no beaches - the whole island drops off into the water. Hiking is the other activity. Short flight/ferry ride from St. Maarten. My latest often-reposted video - not my work:

[youtubehq]Wdzv96WkYyI[/youtubehq]

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 12:11 PM ----------

Or West Curacao - it's dead quiet out there. And really excellent shore diving - Playa Kalki is one of the best on either island IMO. Lodge Kura Hulanda is the upscale place, All West Apt's. nearby is the divers place. 4-5 restaurants or a 45min. drive to town or the airport.

I'd personally rate Curacao diving better than Roatan. There's certainly more diversity - it's also a known macro photo location yet there's some other interesting things - wrecks, the Mushroom Forest etc. Downtown is pretty touristy though - the Mega cruise port is 2 blocks away. Nice when they're gone at night.

Howdy folks, two semi hippies who dive here. We are in great shape and have discovered diving in the last 7 years together. We've been to Roatan 4 times, Utila once and are looking to broaden our experience. We are both nitrox and advanced and we love of the beaten path resorts with fantastic diving. Any secret spots or recommendations for the Caribbean or Mexico or Belize? Frequent flyer miles are being redeemed for this trek. We are both in our early 40s.

Thanks everyone for any favorite spots you may covet. Budget is $2000-$2500

haha... I just answered your question on the Cozumel Forum.

Scuba Club Cozumel.... IMHO the best diving in the Caribbean because of fishlife and range of diving experiences (drift, deep, wall, swimthroughs, shallow, etc.)
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

check out my trip report from my last trip there: http://www.rnrscuba.net/2014_Cozumel/2014_COZ_TripReport.html
I have been there 8 times in past 14 years, so yeah, we really love it.

robin

Getting to Curacao won't be done on United. The flights are two leggers with overnights both ways.

Bequia!

Thanks Doc. I wasn't specific about fantastic. I know it's varied to everyone's tastes. I did dive the south side on two dives and loved it. I love the south side of Roatan more than any other location but so many places won't go over there but will charge a higher fee to make the drive. AKR sent us an email today and the deal is great but I've now dove every west dive 2-4 times. It's beautiful and when my wife and I go any where else and just snorkel we always end up saying, "we should have gone to Roatan" it's just our special place and we have friends there but I was thinking Coz or Belize but your suggestions sound enticing. I will look this places up. Thanks

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

Very cool t4e. Will investigate. Loving this.

If you love Roatan, and loved the south side, why aren't you looking at Fantasy Island on the south side? They were always running specials in the past that would work with your budget I think, and you've already tasted that diving there and already know you like it. Get your butt back to Roatan and stay on the south side at one the dive, dive, dive places.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom