Hammer Heads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pndldy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
we would like to do hammerheads in 2015 and wondered if you could suggest who to go with. its for 4 people. thanks so much

Radicalism reef in the Southern Red sea seems to have an almost permanent group of hammerhead. They are well used to divers and are very curious. This is accessible only by overboard...we went with Blue O2 on a package from London, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Layang Layang in Borneo I understand also has hammerhead , not sure how often they are seen or if spots are seasonal.

Best fishes x

Other places to check into:

Cocos Island - liveaboard - Welcome to the Undersea Hunter Group, Cocos Island
Socorros Islands - liveaboard - Socorro Islands Revillagigedos Archipelago diving with giant pacific mantas, hammerheads, humpback whales, whalesharks

La Paz Mexico - they school at the EL Bajo Seamount just offshore: El Bajo Dive Site - La Paz Baja Mexico - Cortez Club

We've gone to San Carlos MX for the Scalloped Hammerhead (smaller sized) schooling in October. San Carlos is near Guaymas. You have to pick the right week though or you won't see any. San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico PM for more details if interested.

Presumably you are referring to the big schools of Scalloped Hammerheads.

In my opinion, the best destinations for schooling Scalloped Hammerheads are in the Eastern Pacific. To Cocos (Costa Rica) and Revillagigedos (aka, Socorros, in Mexico mentioned above, I would add Malpelo (Colombia) and Galapagos (Ecuador).

These destinations are for all intents and purposes, liveaboard, except that Galapagos can be done land-based. But the Galapagos dive sites where you will see the most hammerheads, namely Darwin and Wolf, are strictly liveaboard.

This is not to say that they cannot be seen elsewhere, but the above are the places where they can be seen most consistently and in the largest numbers. Other destinations where they have been seen include San Salvador in the Bahamas, Tobago, Red Sea, Maldives, Taiwan, Layang Layang and Sipadan in Malaysia, Fiji, and Hawaii and both in el Bajo and Las Animas in the Sea of Cortes in Mexico.

Rangiroa in French Polynesia is better known for Great Hammerheads, not for schooling Scalloped Hammerheads.

We were pretty amazed with the hammerheads we saw in the Socorros. We saw a total of two on two trips to the Red Sea.

I am leading a group trip to Bimini, Bahamas January 25 - 31st 2015 for Hammerheads and Bull sharks

Dive with Great hammerheads in the clear, warm, relatively shallow waters off Bimini. The sand bottom and unusually friendly hammerheads makes this a great encounter and wonderful photography.

My charter price is all inclusive of dives, hotel, food , alcohol

Last 5 spaces!
More details on my website or write to me for details.
Scuba Dive with Hammerhead Sharks in Bimini on our Shark Dive Adventure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom