Belize- where to stay??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ke6420

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am contemplating adding another leg to a trip I already have planned to Roatan in Jan. Was looking at Belize and noticed a few different areas to stay, such as Ambergris Caye, Caulker Caye, Placencia, San Pedro, etc....I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations as to where is the premiere dive spots and where they are best accessed from. I know that BH tours from some of the more northern parts of the country end up being 2hr commute (not a biggie since it's just one day) but are there awesome dive sites up there as well, or would staying in Turneffe Islands possibly offer me better sites/less commuting? Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated!!

Kelly

How many days could you spend in Belize? And do you have budget restrictions?

There is great diving all around Turneffe which is surrounded by its own beautiful atoll reef system but it is pricey. The dive sites are close and require minimum commuting.

The reef is a much longer ride out from Placencia. Again, it depends on how much time you have and how much diving is a priority for you.

Both Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye are close to the barrier reef.

And if you happened to end up in Belize City, Sea Sports Belize is the outfit to use. John and Linda Searle and their staff are excellent.

Whatever you do decide, don't end up in Belize city!

I can make room recommenations for you in Placencia and/or Ambergris Caye. I'm not so good at Caye Calker depending on your budget. So there's the rub. What's your budget for accommodations per night?

I am also looking at booking up for February.
Looking at Coco Beach or Matachica resort but they don't appear to have dive operations on the premises.

Are there any issues with getting picked up on their jetties by any of the bigger dive operators based more in San Pedro?

robint, such a stickler. :wink:

Zombie zombie, you can probably arrange pickup from any operator you choose but it'll probably cost extra.

Check with White Sands.

I am contemplating adding another leg to a trip I already have planned to Roatan in Jan. Was looking at Belize and noticed a few different areas to stay, such as Ambergris Caye, Caulker Caye, Placencia, San Pedro, etc....I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations as to where is the premiere dive spots and where they are best accessed from. I know that BH tours from some of the more northern parts of the country end up being 2hr commute (not a biggie since it's just one day) but are there awesome dive sites up there as well, or would staying in Turneffe Islands possibly offer me better sites/less commuting? Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated!!

Kelly

Check out ReefCI for something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom