Koh Tao, help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jango1

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to book to do my PADI open water at a dive school in Koh Tao, then hopefully some fun dives a few days afterwards. I'm a complete diving newbie and I have no idea how to tell the difference between the different dive schools! Are there any you would recommend/avoid? Also I've seen you can do the theory online for £99 and then get referred, is this a good idea or not?

Thank you!

There are about 50 dive schools on Koh Tao, all offering open water courses, so it can be very difficult to make a decision based on websites alone! It really depends where on the island you want to stay. Sairee is the busiest village, with Chalok being the quietest and Mae Haad somewhere in between. Pick a dive school near where you want to be based - makes no sense to travel the length of the island every day.

Most dive centres will offer a choice of PADI or SSI, and some (like ourselves) will offer both. Since you are looking at online training, its worth mentioning that with SSI there is no fee for this, its completely free. You just need to register online and affiliate to your centre of choice. Some dive centres are very large, with large boats carrying up to and upwards of 40-50 divers at a time. Other smaller centres will guarantee small groups and smaller boats giving you more personalised attention.

In terms of finding 'the best' school, this is very subjective. The easiest way to help you make a decision is to check out what other travellers and previous students have thought. Most dive centres are listed and ranked on the Trip Advisor activities list:
Ko Tao Activities - 80 Ko Tao Tours - TripAdvisor

You don't need to book in advance as courses start every day. Just read the reviews, find some dive shops you like (you can even even email them with any specific questions), and once you are there have a look around, visit them, meet the staff and the instructors. Then make your decision.

FYI There is also a Koh Tao specific forum on Trip Advisor where you can do more research and find answers to your questions.

Hope this helps and enjoy your course & stay on Koh Tao.

Happy diving :)

I was in Koh Tao this last February and was certified in advanced open water diving by Scuba Junction. I found them to be a really fun and welcoming crowd!

Hi, I just came back from Koh Tao and had an awesome time diving with Master Divers. Brilliant instructors, very professional, very safe and thorough in teaching. Would definitely recommend them. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom