What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in a quandry.

This winter I'll be in SE Asia for at least a couple of months, mostly stationed in Singapore. It had been my intention to get back to Raja Ampat on a liveaboard if possible. There are a couple of great opportunities available to me and I'd been trying to make that hard decision as to which boat to take.

Suddenly, there's an amazing opportunity for a liveaboard in the Maldives instead. Oh my, and it only takes one direct flight to get there!

OK . . .Please help me to decide. I've been to Raja Ampat on liveaboard, which is wonderful and that's why I would like another shot at it. But it's truly a pita getting to Sorong and back. Whereas I've not been diving at Maldives but it will be very easy to get there.

January is a decent month for diving RA. I'm not sure about Maldives in that regard.

Even so, I'm torn as to which choice to make.

Oh my, is anyone able to provide input that may sway/ease my decision making process?

(Pure dollars and cents say Maldives but for now, leaving that out of the decision tree)

Thanks in advance!

The Maldives are great diving. I've done 3 liveaboards out there. January is good! But as always there are differences between trips. The Maldives are hundreds of small islands stetched out almost to the equator. There are manta's, whale sharks and what not to be encountered. See my movies on my Youtube Channel. The best diving we did was in the southern part. Most liveaboards stay in the area of the North Male Atol. The fish are abundant, the corals less so. I cannot compare it to Raja Ampat as I have not been there. See also this site: The True Maldives, adventurous dive safaris or liveaboards in the Maldives. It's the site of a liveaboard, the owner is Dutch. He has a lot of movies on the site too. Enjoy, Hans

(Pure dollars and cents say Maldives but for now, leaving that out of the decision tree)

I'm not sure I could do that if I were in your situation. Bargain trips to Maldives do not appear often. It's the airfare that is the killer for either destination from our North American perspective of the globe. Once you get there (survive the air time and transfers), the rest is comparatively easy and inexpensive at either. The Maldives should not be missed, so if there's this opportunity...

Maldives in January is great. I have done 2 liveaboards there....in February with great conditions but January should be equally good.

I have not been to Raja Ampat yet ( setting that right this November) but up to now, Maldives ranks very high among my favourite diving places, along with Bali-Komodo and Turks & Caicos.

In the Maldives you' see everything.... lots of healthy and colourful coral, colourful small fish, macro stuff, manta rays, sharks, turtles, moray eels, stingrays and so on. The only thing it seriously lacks is a good wreck. There is a wreck dive of sorts but not much.

Diving in Maldives is a bit like diving in Palau with lots of current and occasionally you have to be prepared to swim against. But what you get to see is almost always more than worth it.

what is this amazing opportunity for a Maldives liveaboard? I've always wanted to go there

Once I'm booked, will be pleased to share.

And thanks so much to all!!. I feel great about this decision now. Wish me luck getting what I'm after.

Maldives seems to be the right decision...there's currently volcanic eruption activity going on in Raja Ampat :D The "scuba gods" are advising you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom