Direct flights from Dallas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking for places to go for a short dive vacation. Anyone know what good scuba destinations have a direct flight from Dallas? Or how would you go about finding this?

CZM is probably your best bet:(-----but get on Kayak & surf it baby(there's better out there to go).......

Cancun - $382
Cozumel - $430
San Juan, PR (4+hrs. $650+now, $515 in Nov.)

Spirit is flying to Ft. Lauderdale certain days - including some Saturdays for $165 R/T. It's a 5PM departure though.
Miami is $295
West Palm Beach is $255-395

Matrix - ITA Software is where I found all this. Click Nearby in the Destination field and specify a 500mi. radius to see all the options in an area. I tried the Eastern Caribbean and Southern Caribbean but nothing was non-stop. Maybe try with your actual dates, I was just using October 4th and up to a month later.

Note that when you do that the origin/return destination may not be the same in the results but nearby. Roatan is one example, as long as you want to fly back from Cancun??? Not sure how you'd get between them without a local charter flight.

Kayak gets their data from Matrix. So does just about every other travel portal. It's also available as Google Flight since Google bought it.

Thanks diversteve. That is a cool site. I'll have to play with it a little and see what comes up. The nearby feature really helps a lot.

Just poking around my company travel site I could only find Cancun and Cozumel. I'll look around Florida and see what I can find over there.

Is there any diving in San Juan? I got the impression Puerto Rico wasn't great diving unless you got outside San Juan.

Thanks scooterintexas and diver 85. It is looking like CZM is my best bet so far. Maybe I should just drive down to the coast and dive Lulu/Oriskany.

I haven't dove in PR but that's my impression also. Fajardo seems like an option, it's an hour west and the boats go out into the Spanish Virgin Islands nearby. I did find this once but I don't know anything about them. Scuba Diving Puerto Rico's Caribbean with Sea Ventures Dive Centers - Fajardo & Palmas del Mar in Humacao, Puerto Rico The best diving from what I understand is all the way on the East Coast - not counting Mona Island which used to be via liveaboard.

If you want to drive somewhere, it's 4 hours to the Fling. They do 2 day trips just about every weekend. Flower Garden Banks NMS is excellent diving. Fling Charters

All the diving that's mentioned in South Florida except for the Keys is centered between West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale. Jupiter, Boynton Beach, Hollywood, the Blue Heron Bridge for shore dives etc. There's also multiple other shore dives just off the beach.

Even the Keys from MIA isn't too far to drive - about 90+ mins depending on MIA traffic. A lot of the operators are in the Key Largo area around MM100 - there's two hotels there - a Marriott and a Holiday Inn at the marina. About 1/2 dozen shops keep boats there. Key West is a lot farther.

Quickest still has to be Cozumel though.

If you wanted to chance a connection Nassau (NAS) is just under 5 hrs. also. Problem is they're either thru ATL or MIA - not sure which is worse...About $550 - use the Matrix then when you get results shorten the Duration sliders to see only the under 6 hr. total time flights. That includes any layovers.

Find a place on Cable Beach or Paradise Island (besides Atlanti$) and Stuart Cove's will pick you up for diving. Or Bahama Divers will also - they're closer but do one less dive per day - 3 vs. 4. It's all boat diving there. There's some affordable hotels in the Cable Beach area - decent enough for a long weekend. A cab from the airport isn't cheap but you probably wouldn't need a car - there's several shuttles that run between both resort areas and downtown hourly.

I'm flying direct from Dallas (DFW) to Cozumel (CZM) in December on American. Best advice is to plan well in advance, like 5-6 months, and check airfares often. When I first knew my dates, RT air on American was $532. I kept checking every morning until AA put it on sale for $382, and I jumped on it. That was a Saturday. By Sunday evening, it was back at $532. During Summer months (May or June to September), Sun Country also flies direct from DFW. It used to be cheaper than AA, but this summer Sun Country matched AA Fares, and it has higher Baggage Fees - it charges you for everything except a single carry on.

I fly AA for work. So I have status on that airline and can probably fly for free. I stay at Marriott properties for work. So I have enough points I can stay at Marriott properties for free. I'd prefer not to deal with rental cars. My hope is fly to a destination, taxi/shuttle to the hotel, have the dive shop pick me up at the hotel or shore diving from the hotel. For example, I looked at Barbados. I can stay at a Courtyard on points and the dive shop is 15 minute walk from the hotel.

I'll go to Cozumel at least once just to see how it is. Should I bother using my points to go to Cancun? I figure I'll do a week in Barbados and maybe a long weekend in Fort Lauderdale.

I've been recommended to do Fling before. I think a liveaboard might not be for me. I tend to snore and I'm used to having my own room while I travel. I'd hate to ruin the dive for everyone else and but I prefer to be myself.

This is some great information. Thanks everyone. Especially diversteve.

Why Barbados? It wouldn't make my top 10 Caribbean dive locations list.

With your points options look at Grand Cayman instead. Neither destination is direct but you're on Grand Cayman with one connection in just under 6 hours.

There's a Marriott on Seven Mile Beach and their on-site operator is Red Sail Sports. It's a nice Marriott, I've been there. It's also 2+ miles from the airport so a cab ride isn't that expensive. Not that anything on Grand Cayman is cheap but if you've got flights/hotel covered the rest isn't too bad. Boat dives are fairly pricey though. If you don't like Red Sail, there's 2 dozen other dive operators running free pickup in their vans along Seven Mile Beach daily.

Grand Cayman Beach Hotel | Marriott Grand Cayman Resort | Cayman Island Resorts
Welcome to Red Sail Sports Cayman | Cayman Islands
Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Things To Do In Cayman, Cayman Islands Watersports

There are a good shore dives either 2 miles away near downtown or on the other end of SMB up in the NW Point area - more like 4-5 miles. Eden Rock, Sunset House, Turtle Reef, or Cobalt Coast are all good dives. Grand Cayman has public transportation that goes near/to all of them and all have a shop on-site.

Since SH and CC are the AI dive resorts finding a buddy is probably pretty easy. Everybody at My Bar at Sunset House either is one or with one. Best time for Eden Rock is when the cruisers are gone but it's also a lot quieter then - it's 500' south of the cruise port. Happy Fish Divers guides at Turtle Reef, set that up thru Ollin at SunDivers. IMO it's the best of the 4.

Here's what you'll be diving in: Cayman Dive Sites: Guide to Best Dive Sites in Cayman Islands by iDive

Back
Top Bottom