Top dive sites for pelagics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I started diving in Puget Sound a while back. Not long after I got in some warm water in Florida, then Hawaii (got my Divemaster cert there), and a few other places around and I've kind of turned into an 80/80 diver (degrees/feet of vis) for the most part. My GF is certified AOW and pretty competent in the water. We are looking for a place to go to see the big pelagic species. Whale sharks, mantas, etc. would be fantastic. So my question is what are the top locations to travel to, and the best times of year to go to see the big critters in numbers. If the water is cooler we'll make adjustments to our gear to match so that's not necessarily a limitation. Mary really likes sharks and I wouldn't mind seeing a few hammerheads myself. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Socorros..but the water is colder. It's also a liveaboard destination only. From Solmar V's website: Socorro Islands Revillagigedos Archipelago diving with giant pacific mantas, hammerheads, humpback whales, whalesharks
Area is famous for up close and personal encounters with the Giant Pacific manta ray, which can grow to 22 feet from wingtip to wingtip. We’ve been interacting with these gentle giants since 1992 and as a result of having worked with several manta researchers over the years, we have extensive ID’s on most of them and special relationships with many of them. We absolutely do not chase or ride the mantas, and we allow our interaction with them to be initiated by the mantas themselves. We believe that their continued willingness to interact with divers is due to the respect we have shown for them over the years. San Benedicto is by far the best location in the world to experience and photograph these gentle giants. The feeling of a wild animal this large deliberately interacting with you is something you will never forget.

There are lots of sharks in the Revillagigedos Islands - hammerhead schools, white tips, silver tips, silkies, duskies, Galapagos and occasionally tigers.

We have encountered up to 7 species of sharks on a single dive! There are several hammerhead cleaning stations that we visit each trip, weather permitting. Whale sharks are a special treat at the islands, they find us in November/December and late April/May.

We also encounter pods of wild bottlenose dolphin on a regular basis and from January through March, these islands are home to a large population of humpback whales, that come here to breed and calve. We have observed several newborn humpbacks in the years we’ve been fortunate enough to visit these remote and pristine islands. In the last few years the frequency of underwater encounters with humpbacks has increased dramatically. The scientists who visit the Revillagigedos Islands every year to study the migrating whale population tell us that after twelve years of encountering the SOLMAR V, the humpbacks now recognize our vessel and so the opportunity for underwater encounters improves. Add to the mix extremely large tuna (the world record yellowfin is from these waters), wahoo, thick schools of jacks and many other big critters along with endemic tropicals found nowhere else in the world,
They have a Youtube channel and post videos from each trip so you can get an idea of what they saw last year and when.

Nautilus Explorer and Rocio Del Mar go there also.

If you want to dive with Whale Sharks in this hemisphere the only place that's reliable is Gladden Spit, Belize in the spring/early summer. Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Belize Whale Shark Diving IDK if they see Mantas there.

Mary really likes sharks and I wouldn't mind seeing a few hammerheads myself.

Well, if you only want to see "a few" hammerheads... the Galapagos is out!

:d

50470-work-Hammerheads.jpg

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

Turks and Caicos is pretty sharky. Day trips from Provo to West Caicos or French Cay (esp.) and you should see some. No Mantas or Whalesharks afaik. A lot of Stingrays and we saw one huge Eagle Ray one night.

Our trip to the Socorros on the Rocio del Mar was the best trip for pelagics we've done. Although the reefs in Rangiroa were far more beautiful and the reef life was more lush, it couldn't compete with the schooling hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, silky sharks, and manta rays we saw in Mexico.

Turks and Caicos is pretty sharky.
Seconded (and thirded too, for that matter). During my week on the T & C Aggressor, we saw upwards of 100 sharks, some so close-up that we had to dodge out of the way. One of the most exhilarating shark dives was the night dive at Rock & Roll Reef where the nurse, sharks, so quiet during the day, were darting around competing with the huge blue jacks for food. We saw so many sharks that towards the end of the trip we started ignoring them and looking at other stuff, of which there was plenty as well.

Back
Top Bottom