stuck! need guidance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey ppl. I know I've posted here multiple Times. And Ur probably sick of seeing this, but I really need help deciding on a trip.

One of my plans was to drive from Cancun,to cozumel, do some denotes, and hopefully find a way to dive the blue hole without having to drive into Belize.

We were also thinking of doing a few days on a liveaboard in the Bahamas, and then a few days in a resort.

I don't know where to go. We both dive, and want to do some amazing diving, but also really want to experience something new and unique.

I finally have time to go, and now i can't decide where.

Suggestions please

Cancun to Coz will be a short trip except for waiting for the ferry. I think you will need to cross the border to do the Blue Hole. Cenotes are a mainland thing rather than a Cozumel thing.

You can rent cars in Cancun with permission to go to Belize. Do cenotes around Tulum, Banco Chinchorro if weather is right from Xcalak and then head for Belize! How many weeks do you have?

looking at 12-14 days

ive been to playa del carmen a couple times now. rented a car last time i was there. i only did a day trip dive to cozumel. dove a couple different cenotes around tulum. i'm just wondering if its worth going back. does anyone have any experience crossing into belize from mexico?

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 07:20 PM ----------

ok screw it. i'm pretty sure thats our plan. i guess now what i need to know is who to dive with? does anyone have any experiences with dive operators in Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, and the blue hole? Anyone i should avoid? any dive groups in particular that will show us a good time?

There are no "few day" liveaboards in the Bahamas - it's not cost effective for less than a week - for either party.

There's a Blue Hole off Nassau. Bahama Divers does it regularly. Diving | Bahama Divers Google Lost Blue Hole for videos.

Also look at flight routings - in a lot of cases you have to fly back to the states on U.S. flagged carriers to get from destinations like Belize or Mexico to the Bahamas. Often that's an overnight somewhere.

If you don't want to drive between Mexico and Belize see what Tropic Air is currently doing. They fly all over Belize plus to Cancun. http://www.tropicair.com/

Last edited:
What is with all the driving? Are you driving down to Cancun from the US?

Amazing diving is not the Blue Hole.

The biggest source of amazing diving in the Mexican area you will be at will be Cozumel. If you like cenote diving then the cenotes will be the 2nd biggest source of amazing diving. There are plenty of people (mostly cave divers) who go to the Yucatan and do nothing but dive cenotes for a week. The Cancun / Isla Mujeres area will be number 3 in that area. (Unless you aren't a fan of cenotes, in that case it will be number 2 and the cenotes will be number 3) Cancun and Isla Mujeres share many of the same dive sites. 4th would be specialty dive sites if you are there in the winter which would be in Playa Del Carmen, Tortugas dive site (turtles all over it) or diving with the bull sharks.

In regard to Belize, the Blue Hole is the most over-hyped dive in the world. If you go to Belize to dive, dive the blue hole as part of your trip since you're already there and then afterwards you can cross it off your list and join the rest of the world by saying "that was a waste of time" but don't in a million years, go to Belize to do the Blue Hole dive and turn around and leave. That amount of effort to dive just the Blue Hole will be something you will never be able to admit publicly after you do it.

Reactions: Doc
My dive experience is very limited, but a great place that I've not seen mentioned often is Long Caye Wall. I got certified there, diving with Off the Wall dive resort on Long Caye, Glover's Reef, Belize. You fly or otherwise get yourself to Dangriga, Belize, from which they'll take you to the island on a boat. It's VERY rustic there. Diving is a 5 to 10 minute zodiac ride from the pier, so you return to the island for surface intervals. It's all drift diving along the wall, and when I was there it was always a very gentle current. It's an amazing wall. I think maybe they offer whaleshark dives in season, though I never did that.

yeah I donno why. Just wanna take in as many big dives as possible. Kinda bailed on Mexico due to weather.

Anyone have any experience in Trinidad and Tobago.

Trinidad is the place you try to get thru as fast as possible to Tobago where it's nicer. Try not to even stay overnight if you can help it. Hard to do with some flight arrival times.

Trinidad & Tobago - click on Safety/Security - everyone I know that's been to Tobago says it's nice and peaceful though. Not the clearest diving though since it sits right in the middle of the Orinoco River outflow from South America. All the nutrients do promote growth - they have the world's largest Brain Coral...and the Tobago Express is about Manta's - although I may have read somewhere recently there's less of them now.

I've been looking into total Tobago diving. They have packages that allow u to spend a few nights in a variety of diving resorts on all sides of the island. Reasonably priced as well.

One of my plans was to drive from Cancun,to cozumel, ..........

Good luck with that! Cant wait to see that car Mr. Bond! :) Struck me as funny.

Blue Hole
Stingray city
Peleliu
Sturgis
New Years in NYC

Among the things you need to do once and most will never do again.

Back
Top Bottom