Where to dive late Nov/early Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
Could u please also recommend me a place to dive around end of Nov/early Dec?I prefer warm water, pelagic, but regular reefs are okay too. I have ~50 dives, and live in the west coast. I may have a non diver catch up w/ me afterwards, so if there's a snorkeling place in a driving vicinity that will be great.
Also, what do u think of Turk&caicos? I read mixed reviews about the weather around that time..

I read mixed reviews about the weather around that time..

November in December in the Caribbean basin? Yes, you likely have read some mixed "reviews", but if you eliminate anecdotal trip reports... hey- sometimes people get lucky.

Again, skipping "the reviews", just understand that this time frame is the Caribbean Tropical Storm and also Hurricane Season. That's a plain fact.

Stay below that ••••• line, better your odds.

A typical (but very active) season:

Reactions: luk
You have not mentioned how far you want to travel. Phuket and surrounds are great for diving in late November / early December and there are a lot of things a non-diver can do out there. In and out of water.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2014 at 05:38 PM ----------

You have not mentioned how far you want to travel. Phuket and surrounds are great for diving in late November / early December and there are a lot of things a non-diver can do out there. In and out of water.
Thank you! Anything up to a day or a night of flight is good for me. I've done Phuket quite a few times.

Last edited:
Anything up to a day or a night of flight is good for me.

In that case, you have a lot of choice. For a start, most Caribbean destinations will be out of their hurricane seasons by late November and places like The Bahamas and Cozumel come into consideration. Both have plenty of non-diving activities nearby but being from the US I expect you have done those destinations a few times already.

Further out, Maldives are great but not much for non-divers apart from beach-combing. I have heard good reports about diving in the Laccadives (Lakshadweep) in India but when I made enquiries a few years ago, it seemed like the local resorts are a rip off and foreign tourists are more than likely to get fleeced.

Luke, did you get certified in Phuket?

Turks water temperature drops a little in the winter. IDK exactly when:

From November to May the average temperature is 80 to 84 degrees (27-29 degrees celsius). Water temperature in the summer is 82 to 84 degrees (28-29 degrees celsius) and in winter about 74 to 78 degrees (23-26 degrees celsius). A constant trade wind keeps the climate at a very comfortable level.

There is an annual rainfall of 21 inches on Grand Turk and South Caicos, but as you go further west the average rainfall could increase to 40 inches. In an average year the Turks and Caicos has 350 days of sunshine.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30th.
Quick Facts about Turks and Caicos Islands Turks and Caicos Tourist Board

The best diving is at West Caicos and French Cay. Both are full of pelagics - at French Cay we saw at least one - and usually several reef sharks on every dive. I honestly counted a dozen stingrays near one mooring - they were spread out in the sand at 40'. I shoot video and a couple let me get so close that they started to raise their tails to leave b4 I backed off. Lots of turtles, some large, a few grouper and once we heard but did not see dolphins chattering. Also basketball sized lionfish - and often cuda under the boat. There's fish everywhere - the wall is so close to most of the moorings that you dive down it - the currnent upwelling brings up a lot of life.

The only issue with it as a day destination from Provo is it's a full day trip - ops pick you up in the AM via van shuttle, drive you to the south side marina for a 45min. boat ride, provide 2-3 dives and lunch and bring you back around 2:30 - 4:30 if you do the third dive. There's also very good to excellent diving off Provo's NW Point - a five min. boat ride. And Grace Bay - I saw a marked dive boat moored out there one afternoon.

I suspect if conditions were going to be rough that would be on the crossing between the islands - it was a little rough when we did it in spring. Not enough to prevent it - but enough to notice one way. We were on the T/C Explorer so it wasn't as big an issue. Most of the moorings are up against the island(s) - some are really close - so they're likely protected once you get there. I don't remember any issues with reboarding the boat except once on a drift dive - the absurdity of using a 110' boat to drift dive was probably a lot of that...lol.

I know they have snorkel excursions on Provo - IDK any details. I believe there's one area on/near Grace Bay where your non-diver can do that. Grace Bay is really pricey though - it's one of the nicest beaches in the world and they know it. There is a Comfort Suites a block or two inland if you're going solo and looking for something reasonable.
If money's no option, Amanyara is really nice..lol Even have their own private dive operator.

Comparable might be the Caymans. Grand Cayman has a lot of great dives. Also some shore accessible snorkeling. Some both - you can simultaneously dive/snorkel the Kittiwake wreck with some operators - it was put down deliberately for that. Stingray City is one of the best 14' dives you can do, we had snorkelers on our dive boat also - SRC - not the nearby Sandbar snorkel where you mostly get mauled by rays in 5'. Turtle Reef is one of the better shore dives and it's also a known snorkel spot. I believe there's good snorkeling off both Cobalt Coast locations also - it's certainly shallow for a long way and the reef comes right up to the dock. Areas of Sunset House to the south also. The best diving is North Wall boat diving - in November they may not be able to get out there. The West side is almost as good - many of the known sites are there - and they can dive it pretty much all year unless there's a storm. And they move boats, dive the south as an alternative. One of the best dives we did there was to the south - the reef sees less traffic. www.idivecayman.com for videos.

Equally as pricey as T/C - not sure which is worse. You're going in high season also. There is both a Comfort Suites and Sunshine Suites - both about a block from the beach. The CI$ is .80 to the U.S. dollar so that's a shock at first. The flipside is if you're cheap like us, alot of the fast food U.S. chains are there, BK, Subway, Dominos, KFC. And unless you eat waterfront every night - prices aren't any more expensive than other resort areas. Food prices were pretty shocking also - we thought we'd cook to save. Not really...

IDK much about the Sisters (LC and Brac) except they're pretty small and quiet. Most people who've done both say the diving at LC is better. Brac has a lot of shore diving options also if you've got a buddy. Either is generally reachable the same day thru Grand Cayman.

Turks & Caicos diving is superb with lots of coral and marine life of all shapes and sizes. Night diving in particular is better than anywhere else in the Caribbean that I have been. Thus far it rates very high among the various dive spots in the world that I have visited.

Thank you!! Which dive operator would you recommend for T&C?
I may spend ~2 wks there. Other than getting weekly rates from airbnb/vrbo, if u know where to get a discount on a long stay, pl let me know.

Last edited:
Thank you!! Which dive operator would you recommend for T&C?
I may spend ~2 wks there. Other than getting weekly rates from airbnb/vrbo, if u know where to get a discount on a long stay, pl let me know.
T&C? Explorer Venture liveaboard. Say hi to captn Ken. & Stan.

December? Go further south to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom