Roatan Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tinagirl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been to Bonaire 6 times, thinking about going to Roatan. Will I be terribly disappointed and can someone recommend a "great" place to stay that has everything anyone would want? Seems like West End is the best. I've looked at Anthony's Key and it looks wonderful but not really interested in 3 meals a day being included. My other recommendation is Cocolobo. I like luxury but kind of want to go on what I would call a "budget". Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Been to Bonaire 6 times, thinking about going to Roatan. Will I be terribly disappointed and can someone recommend a "great" place to stay that has everything anyone would want? Seems like West End is the best. I've looked at Anthony's Key and it looks wonderful but not really interested in 3 meals a day being included. My other recommendation is Cocolobo. I like luxury but kind of want to go on what I would call a "budget". Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I had an extremely pleasant stay at Cocolobo, but I would not classify it as luxury. Perhaps you should give a price range.

Splash Inn right in the heart of West End would be a safe choice. I've stayed there several times and it's a basic room for a reasonable price. $55 per night SINGLE... That includes A/C, WiFi and cable TV. Their dive rates are pretty good too, $25 per boat dive if you do at least 10 during your stay.

Roatan Hotel Dive Resort SPLASH INN West End Honduras

They have a dive shop on premise, but there has been a lot of changes recently, so I can't personally attest to how well the dive shop is running now.

If I were you, I would HIGHLY recommend diving with either West Bay Divers, West Bay Divers | PADI 5 Star Dive Centre located on Roatan or a new shop named Seaquest Roatan https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=263526347191527&_rdr . I believe West Bay Divers docks their boat directly in front of Splash Inn, so you could probably ride the dive boat to West Bay each day. Otherwise it's only $3.00 for a water taxi to West Bay. West Bay Divers specializes in small groups and if you check on Trip Advisor I believe they are rated #1 for West Bay.

I know the owners, instructors and divemasters for West Bay Divers and Seaquest Roatan and I'm sure you will love either dive shop. If you need further information feel free to PM me. If you want some other recommendations less expensive than Splash Inn, then just let me know. Just be aware, if you find something for much less than $55 per night, it will be much more "rustic" or not located directly in West End, which means inexpensive taxi rides. West End is very safe, but you don't want to venture too far off on foot away from West End. One of the cool things about staying in West End is that you have your choice of many, many restarants, bars and diveshops, all within a 10 minute walk up and down the street.

Last edited:

that's an oxymoron

why exactly are you opposed to an AI?
we stayed at Mayan Princess but we took the AI, beautiful place, 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, better stocked up in appliances that i've had in more expensive places, excellent dive shop on site
i'm pretty sure you can rent it without the AI, i know for a fact that some of the apartments are for sale

IMGP3868.jpgIMGP3869.jpgIMGP3870.jpgIMGP3871.jpgIMGP3872.jpg

Mayan Princess and Luna Beach are absolutely BEAUTIFUL resorts. Luna Beach is much closer to West End, which is where I love to be near/in/around.

Would not disagree with any of the above. If you were more specific with your parameters, I would throw something out there too as there are many other choices as well; depending upon what you really want. i.e. budget or luxury or happy medium?

For reference, how about telling what places you've stayed in Bonaire, and what 'luxuries' you either enjoyed or considered lacking in those places you stayed, to give others a frame of reference for their recommendations.

Richard.

Den Laman twice, just got back home from there....depressed now:( It would be perfect if it had a pool, Belafonte, loved but no pool ,Bellvue was darn near perfect. Would have to consider those luxury.

Den Laman twice, just got back home from there....depressed now:( It would be perfect if it had a pool, Belafonte, loved but no pool ,Bellvue was darn near perfect. Would have to consider those luxury.

If you want a pool on a budget in West End, maybe take a look at Seagrape Plantation. Seagrape Plantation Resort Hotel and Diveshop in West End, Roatan | Bay Islands | Honduras

It's a 5-10 minute walk to most of the West End bars, restaurants and diveshops. Don't walk alone after dark, coming and going between West End proper and Seagrape.. Many do, but I don't recommend it..

Back
Top Bottom