Alternative to Cozumel Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roman_66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two years ago I dove about week in Cancun area. The most interesting dives were in Cenotes and Cozumel. So last year I decided to go directly to Cozumel. Found nice diveshop, which supports technical divers and where people will not be surprised with my "strange" equipment in recreation dives. On each dive, even in the same place we saw different corals and fishes.
So this year I thought to go to the same place also for Christmas week (Dec 20-28).
Just second before booking flight (from Dallas) and simple hotel, I would like to ask community if more experience dives can suggest other opportunity in the same price range and dates.
My current expenses are :
- Flight DFW-CZM $720
- Simple hotel $400
- 7 days diving (two boat dives per day with one tank each + one AL80 stage per day, all Nitrox 32%) $780
So Total before tips about $1900.
+- $300 can be ok, but please not suggest double price dives.
I more like to see corals and fishes than caverns and wrecks.
I have dry suit, so water temperature will not be break point. 5mm in December in Cozumel was ok for me last year.
Also looking for buddy to this trip, preferable DIR-GUE oriented.

Have you ever thought about Playa? At Beyond Diving we cater to tech as well as recreational divers. I myself am very much DIR oriented (and I own the joint :)). So if you want, check out our website http://www.beyonddivingscuba.com
I am sure there is something we can offer you!
Erik

Thank you for info and quick reply. Looks it is still the same Cozumel area , but other dive shop.

How about Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan Honduras. They are having a buy one get one 50% off sale. So if you go with a buddy and split the savings the resort + food + 3 dives per day + airport transfer = $885. Round trip air = $900. With this deal you might as well consider upgrading to a key superior with a private bungalow over the water.

Buy One Get One Half Off - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

I more like to see corals and fishes than caverns and wrecks.

Also looking for buddy to this trip, preferable DIR-GUE oriented.

Roatan's South Side = Corals and resident fish, crustaceans.

With water temps at a predictable 82+, you might not need that Ebola Suit.

Look at Barefoot Key, Fantasy, Reef House Resort, and the Nitrogen junkie's choice, Coco View.

Within your budget including airfare, but good luck on finding a random Gooey. (But a higher likelihood at CCV) Maybe you'll convert someone!

This late Barefoot doesn't have any availability Christmas week - it's a pretty small resort.

I'd be hugely surprised if Cocoview does either - it's a lot more popular. $1349 All-Inclusive (single supplement) if they do - that even includes the airport shuttle so if you stay/dive there that would be your total coast except for the departure tax - might be $38-40 now.
Not sure if that include the resort tax which is pretty high.

Flights from Dallas are $900 thru ATL. 6-8 hrs. each way. Roatan seems to work best on Sat->Sat scheduling.

Last edited:
Thank you, who helped with alternatives.
Unfortunately I will travel alone, without family and without buddy. So "all inclusive" for sure not an option (price included a lot of components unnecessary for me).
I didn't find option on sites about to take with me stage-pony. With DUMMY buddy, assigned on boat two minutes before dive, I will not go underwater without stage.
I dropped mail to goprocaribbean.com, according to site looks they do only technical courses, but not recreational boat dives.
I need technical dive shop, which also provides recreational boat dive services.
Found on one site about weather in Honduras in December :

• December Rainy Season, Occasional Northers which can stop diving on the Northern coast and heavy rain affects visibility on the southern.
So maybe existing option in the first message will be the best for Christmas week....

I didn't find option on sites about to take with me stage-pony.

Not sure what you mean?

Unfortunately I will travel alone, without family and without buddy. So "all inclusive" for sure not an option (price included a lot of components unnecessary for me).

What AI elements would not be among your needs?

Not sure what you mean?
As I mentioned in first post I am looking for option to take with me to dive additional tank as pony.
What AI elements would not be among your needs?
After full day of boat dives I need small dinner and bad. "All inclusive" usually means a lot of food, pools and others, for which I will pay, but not use.
But hotel actually is second (actually third-fourth) priority.
I will appreciate if you can suggest any link for dive shop, supports dive with doubles or at least pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom