Great White site recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey,

Am looking to get the best White Shark experience towards the end of December, beginning of January 2015?

Can anybody help please. Would it be California, Baja California, Guadelupe Island, South Australia, or is is there another awesome secret out there?

cheers

You could look into Golden Gate Charters out of San Francisco (Go Giants!!!)
They do cage dives out at the Farallons.
The GW's out there are very big and aggresive, so I hear.
I know a guy who worked as a hand on the boat and said one year not long ago they had a 100% encounter rate!! (during their season).
They had breaches with sharks slamming seals, blood squirting, looky loo people (not divers) getting sick and had enough, etc. Very high energy and extreme.
I've been out of touch with this guy for a few years now, but there's nothing to make me doubt that it's any different now as the GW population has been increasing and their food supply at the Farallons is plentiful.
The trip isn't cheap though, be prepared.

Ric, asyou are based in Saudi, I would look at South Africa and the specifically Gans Baai. There is a guy there by te name of Mike Rutzen , he is excellent. And almost guaranteed sharks.

December is a little late for the great whites in Guadalupe (although we went down there one year in early December and saw over a dozen of them)

I read some reviews that Farallons was a rip-off operation where chances of an actual encounter were very low and most of the time they come back without seeing anything and still keep charging the same charter price. I hope someone with first hand experience may be able to shed more light on this. I would go to South Africa because it is cheaper and also because besides the cage diving experience, it also offer better over all diving nearby.

I would love to hear your feed back trip report whereever you go.

I did South Africa earlier this year. Be sure to go in season. I went cuz I had another trip nearby for work and was available to make a swing through there cheaply in late February, and it was really rough and the captain wouldn't let us even get in the cage. Only saw one shark from the boat, but they did give us a refund for most of the price. Apparently later in the year is much better. I wouldn't go there next time anyway, visibility was horrible. It's Mexico next time for me for sure. But there is allegedly good diving next door with other sharks in Mozambique, so that could be nice. I am not so experienced diving that I can really pass judgement on any of them, but SA did not meet my expectations.

I did South Africa earlier this year. Be sure to go in season. I went cuz I had another trip nearby for work and was available to make a swing through there cheaply in late February, and it was really rough and the captain wouldn't let us even get in the cage. Only saw one shark from the boat, but they did give us a refund for most of the price. Apparently later in the year is much better. I wouldn't go there next time anyway, visibility was horrible. It's Mexico next time for me for sure. But there is allegedly good diving next door with other sharks in Mozambique, so that could be nice. I am not so experienced diving that I can really pass judgement on any of them, but SA did not meet my expectations.

I wouldnt write South Africa off that quickly. The crappy viz was likely because of the heavy seas....That can and will happen anywhere in the world.

It's not going to be Guadalupe - season is over by then, even the San Diego boats stop going there Mid-October. Solmar stops now - they're back in Socorro starting tomorrow. If by Baja you mean Socorro - I've never heard of a GWS being seen there - Tigers are pretty rare also.

fwiw, all the Socorro boats are booked solid for all of 2014 and most of 2015.

This is Mike Rutzen's^ company - Shark Cage Diving | Great White | Mike Rutzen | Shark Diving Unlimited - happened to have it bookmarked.

Last edited:
Abalone diving in Tamales Bay?
Abalone diving at the mouth of Tomales Bay on the south side point (Pt. Reyes side).
Or better yet, Elephant Rock just south of Tomales bay.
Go float around on a surf board this time a year just offshore a little and see what happens.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

Here's a link.
Great White Shark Cage Diving :: Great White Adventures :: Dive the Farallon Islands

I've never done this because it's too much money for me personally, but from what I hear there are people in the world who think this is pocket change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom