need help with a honeymoon destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeRiley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, I'm a new diver and recently married but my wife doesn't dive.
We're looking at taking a honeymoon in March or April but I'm having a hard time finding great spots to present.

We go to Cozumel often but want to do something more special for our honeymoon.
I'm trying to remember this is a trip for US and not for me to dive, but since well be travelling for 10 ish days, Id like to get a couple of mornings or days of diving (shes happy to lay in the sun for the day so she doesnt mind if i take off once in a while)

The top two destinations I've looked at have been;

Drake Bay - love the eco-lodge idea but they seem kind of pricey for anything that's not a tent in the jungle. We're flying from Toronto so it's also quite the trek to get there. We love the chance to see wildlife, sloths, kayak on the river and through the mangroves and I'd love to try some diving at Cano island. Downsides though... the distance.. the price.. ive got a bad knee so the beach landings to get to the hotels is tough, all the trekking through the jungle isnt an option for me.

so then i found

Bocas Del Toro in Panama. - love the look of some of the hotels... the price is right... seems like lots of cheap restaurants to bum around at. cool mangroves, still get to see our sloths, see a chocolate factory etc. lots of pluses. the disappointing part is that I found the location on some blog that said its a hidden gem for diving... but after reading reviews it looks pretty lackluster. on the plus side... the conditions are perfect for me... calm, warm, not super deep. but ive really been wanting to see some of the big guys... at least a few reef sharks or something.

so....

any suggestions of places that meet the following criteria?
- cool diving
- nice beaches, or at least hotels with lots of sun and a pool
- small hotels... we prefer to stay at something with 10-20 rooms if possible
- preferably in the Caribbean or Central America
- preferably something that has access to jungle/rainforest. id like to do some ziplining and wed love to see macaws in the wild or toucans and especially sloths!

Bocas seems like itll be the winner... I just wish the diving seemed a little more encouraging...

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 10:39 PM ----------

doing some research... found the Corn Islands... wondering about Belize??

I think you want Costa Rica.
visiting Sloth Rescue Center just north of Cahuita, Costa Rica. This is the only such rescue center of its kind in the world that rescues three-toed and two-toed sloths, two totally different species.

It's hard to tell from your post but if price isn't a factor there's some great places in southern Belize. They do all the eco-tours there, river rafting, etc. The diving is excellent but it's a longer boat ride out to the barrier reef. I don't know about sloths but it is a lot of rainforest so they probably have most of what you want. There's Jaguars, Howler Monkeys, Mayan Ruins, Cave Tubing, I'm sure someone does ziplining also. Cockscomb Nature preserve is in that area.

If money's not a problem, look at Hamanasi, Roberts Grove or Coppola's Turtle Inn. If it is, there's a lot of beachfront properties along north Placencia. And it's a nice beach. Laru Beya might be an option.

The Best of Belize Hotels & Belize Resorts | Welcome to Hamanasi!
Belize Resorts | Belize Beach Resort | Belize Diving | Placencia | Hotels - Robert's Grove
https://www.coppolaresorts.com/turtleinn
They also have Blancaneux Lodge in the mountains near the ruins at Caracol.
https://www.coppolaresorts.com/blancaneaux

Belize Beach Resorts - Placencia Resorts & Hotels - Laru Beya
but ive really been wanting to see some of the big guys.
If you're comfortable with diving to 80' in blue water March/April are Whale Shark dive months. Your wife can snorkel off the boat and possibly see them also - they surface pretty often. It's only off Gladden Spit before/after the full moon - when the Cubera Snapper spawn - but most of the operators go there. I can't think you won't see reef sharks there on shallower dives also.

Splash Belize is one option - they list:

2015 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

March 5th to March 14th
April 4th to April 13th

They also package deals with several hotels/resorts in that area. Including Laru Beya. And have an affiliated company that does the other tours. Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks | Splash Dive Center Placencia

Anthony's Key Resort is primarily a dive resort but I spent a week there once and did not do any diving, just some snorkeling and had a great time. The bungalows are on their own island, the restaurant is good and there was enough for us to do besides lounging around. You could easily get a couple of dives in while she sleeps in. Then tour the island, swim with the local dolphins, or just a lot of nothing...which is good for a honeymoon.

Hawaii is also good but a bit pricey...

thanks for the tips! I had looked at both of those previously but theyre a bit pricier than I wanted to spend. after doing more research the Corn Islands in Nicaragua are the front runner. the diving looks like a good mix of my abilities and comfort level with what im hoping to see. its quite cheap it seems too. ill have to budget it all out though... it seems cheap enough but when you factor in bank charges, local flights, water taxis etc, im sure it adds up. major downside is that the shops dont seem to do a 1 to 1 diving experience. im comfortable paying extra to hire a private guide and this board had suggested that when i was disheartened from getting stuck over and over again with no buddy. im still exploring the island but it seems affordable. Costa Rica just doesnt seem to have any great diving on the caribbean side that i can find. while the Catalinas seem awesome, there arent any great places to stay and the diving is probably beyond my comfort zone. i want to work up to trips like that in a couple of years.

If Doc doesn't see this, send him a PM. I'm pretty sure he's been to the Corn Islands.

You might look at Dominica also...for us the getting there was always too difficult. Maybe it's different from your side of the continent.
Discover Dominica, the Nature Island

Or St. Lucia - just not Anse Chastenet/Jade Mountain, Sugar Beach or Ladera - all are $500+/nt.
Marigot Bay Beach and Dive Resort is about $120/nt. in spring. Looks decent on Expedia, I've not been there.
St Lucia Caribbean Islands | Resorts, Travel and Vacation Information

both are excellent diving.

i hadnt looked at Dominica... thats a good idea to check, thanks!
and yea, St lucia I'd always considered Jade Mountain but thats just way too expensive. didnt really think about looking for a cheaper place there. im hoping to end up doing about 10 nights for 5000 including food, drinks, hotel, flights and diving. seems like a workable budget for the most part for the places we want to go. im trying to avoid anything too posh and most places we go wont have any shopping which is a plus if were trying to save money. the dive shop in the corn islands got back to me and said that the hammerheads seem to have moved on :( still looks like a great place though.

thanks for the tips! I had looked at both of those previously but theyre a bit pricier than I wanted to spend. after doing more research the Corn Islands in Nicaragua are the front runner. the diving looks like a good mix of my abilities and comfort level with what im hoping to see. its quite cheap it seems too. ill have to budget it all out though... it seems cheap enough but when you factor in bank charges, local flights, water taxis etc, im sure it adds up. major downside is that the shops dont seem to do a 1 to 1 diving experience. im comfortable paying extra to hire a private guide and this board had suggested that when i was disheartened from getting stuck over and over again with no buddy. im still exploring the island but it seems affordable. Costa Rica just doesnt seem to have any great diving on the caribbean side that i can find. while the Catalinas seem awesome, there arent any great places to stay and the diving is probably beyond my comfort zone. i want to work up to trips like that in a couple of years.

Little Corn is a great little island. It's affordable, rustic,charming. A taste of small island life. Diving is ok,great for beginners, and short boat rides so your not gone from your honey to long. ( happy wife happy life), ( I have some trip reports on the Central America board for lot's more info). The diving is really cheap so you might be able to afford a private guide.
Accommodations vary from super rustic to high end backpacker, unless you go for the high end yoga place on the north side, but that makes town a far walk and half the charm is town.
For jungle activities you can do that on the mainland.

Would also suggest Costa Rica or Belize.

The diving is better in Belize but I think there is more to do in terms of jungle, zip lines, gardens, spas etc. in Costa Rica. Would not even consider diving the Caribbean side in Costa Rica. There are reasonable diving opportunities on the Pacific side, but not the reason to go. Did see my first Mantas in CR on the Pacific side. However lots to do otherwise and a really nice place to spend some time.

Belize has better diving and also some very cool things to see and do. Have been to both for a non diving holiday and have been to Belize three times to just dive. Would not go to Costa Rica to just dive (unless it was on a liveaboard which is not an option for you this time). Both have lots of inexpensive options if you stay away from the big resorts and look for more interesting options. You can stay in B&B type places all over CR, while Belize has lots of smaller inexpensive hotels pretty much anywhere you might want to stay.

I agree with the Costa Rica idea. It is very easy to get around Costa Rica so you can easily fit in a few days of diving on the Pacific side. That time frame is perfect for Costa Rica. There is a LOT to do and see there as well!

See, I've spent a ton of time looking at Costa Rica but it just seems pricey and underwhelming. Drake Bay is too expensive. I had really good info sent to me from Rocket Frog up in Playa Coco but I don't think id be safe at the catalinas or bat island. I'm still working on my depth and I really hate surge. I'll have to learn to get over that someday.

Belize looks cool, I just can't figure out where to go. Corn Island is gonna end up costing 150-200 a night. Can anyone suggest some places in Belize off the beaten path? Preferably access to a great, personalized dive shop, preferably lots of calm and easy going sites. (and while I'm on a role... maybe access to some pelagics??) only thing that seems to suck about nicaragua is that with my bad knee,everything will be a pain in the ass. all the little flights and hiking etc.

I guess if anyone has an opinion on the Playa Hermosa/coco area in CR I'd appreciate that too.

Little corn sealed the deal with the chance to see hammerheads but knowing they're gone really takes that one unique thing it had for me. Add in having to walk everywhere all the time AND neither dive shop will hire a private DM to me and it just seems like a lot of work when I could just go back to Coz and get better service and better charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom