Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RicHeaD

Reaction score
Going on my first boat trip next month. Everywhere I read on boat trips they said to remember to take money for tipping. You would think with the amount of money they get for the trip, tipping would not be necessary. How much do you tip ? and when ?:confused:

We have always tipped at the end of the trip on a week long dive and at the end of the day as you're getting off of the boat on a day dive. When we went on a day dive we usually give $20 to the DM who has helped us, we've never had multiple people help us on these types of dives so I can't answer a multiple helper question.

When we went on the Nekton Pilot last summer the suggestion was 10 percent of the cruise price ($200). Sounds steep but that was split between the crew of 14 since everyone was at your service 24/7. My fiance said the service would have to be really good to get him to give a tip that big. Well, lets just say he put $200 in his tip envelope at the end of the trip just like I did, the crew definitely earned it!

Ber :bunny:

If a tip jar is prominently displayed, it likely indicates that the salary of the staff is quite low.

In many prominent dive destinations, it takes nearly all of the staff person's salary to pay the rent. Tips are vital for covering basic living expenses like groceries and transportation.

That said, you are not obligated to tip. Rewarding good service with a tip will be greatly appreciated. Typically, somewhere around 10% of the trip cost is suggested as a tip amount.

Hi RicHeaD,

The following is the un-edited version of the piece which appeared in edited form in my "Ask RSD" column of the October 1999 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory; (2) An appropriate amount is somewhere between 10-15 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 15 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is, the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

Originally posted by DocVikingo
... For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries ...

Not yet customary? I hope it never becomes customary! Australia and New Zealand are sensible enough to pay almost all staff an acceptable minimum wage that doesn't force people to rely on tips! Although some people's notion of acceptable minimum wage varies wildly.

Oops,

Hope my editing for space of that previous post doesn't make it look like you made that comment DocVikingo, it's part of the text of the Rodale's article.

Thanks to all for the info. It's funny how tipping works. Professional services are not tipped but personal services that are paid minimum wage are. Has a general rule, Iam firmly against tipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom