Dolphins, please?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I will soon be a certified diver, what I want to see the most is dolphins. Please tell me where I can go where I will most likely see them? Also, if you have any accomodation suggestions at that site, I would appreciate that. I vastly prefer small, quiet, rural locations if I have a choice.

Thanks, everyone!

Kay:
Now that I will soon be a certified diver, what I want to see the most is dolphins. Please tell me where I can go where I will most likely see them? Also, if you have any accomodation suggestions at that site, I would appreciate that. I vastly prefer small, quiet, rural locations if I have a choice.

Thanks, everyone!

I had only seen dolphins from the surface...never under water, until I went to see the whale sharks at Gladden Spit in Belize. The time for this is around the full moon from March through June or so. The dolphins apparently hang around with all the action when the huge schools of snappers are spawning. I was hanging out in the blue watching a school of snappers descend into the blue and here came six bottle nose swimming and chattering down the reef. The swirled around us a few times and off they went. It was cool.

Hi

Not all the time but we do get dolphins in Utila a lot, it is very rural, thereare 10 dive shops to choose from so plenty of choice.

Usually in Utila the boat captains will let you get off the boat and swim with them, sometimes they will stay and play for quite a long time.

You've piqued my interest.

Hank, where is Gladden Spit in Belize? I just spent a week at the beginning of this summer on South Water Caye. I was also there five years ago and saw dolphins close to the island, but I was on shore.

Deep blue divers, please tell me a little about Utila. I know nothing about it.

Thank you! I am a pesky information sponge, aren't I?

You might want to take the Marine Mammal Protection Act into account when dealing with Dolphins or any other marine mammals. There are some pretty severe penalties for interfereing with them.

From what I understand if you are in the water when they come into the area, that's okay. If they are in the water and you come into their area, you can't get into the water.

I was in Hawaii last summer and we were heading to the next dive site and a pod dolphin came through where two boats had snorklers out. All we could do is circle at a distance, we couldn't even jump into the water. Boat captain was adamant about it.

I heard at one time that it applied to US Citizens anywhere in the world, but I have a hard time believing that could be enforced even if it is true, which I have a hard time believing.

Bob.

I have never seen so many dolphins anywhere as I have in New Jersey. Just sayin'.

New Jersey? Never would have thought of that one.

Don't worry about me bothering dolphins or violation the marine mammal protection act. I am the environmentalist poster child.

Utila is a small island off the coast of Honduras, it is very laid back with great value diving and accomodation.

You can get accomodation from $3.00 per night for a very basic room up to $35.00 per night a good meal will cost about $3.00.

A lot of people fall into the Utila lifestyle, a lot of people here still dont wear shoes.

The diving is very good there are lots of dive shops on the island and a pack of 10 fun dives costs just $175.00 that includes all your equipment.

Diving is good just make sure you get an operator that will take you north side of the island it is stunning.

What else do you want to know

If you ever this side of the world take a trip to Mozambique, I have had some great encounters with them there

Kay:
New Jersey? Never would have thought of that one.
Me neither, but here they are. I haven't ever seen such large pods of dolphins anyplace else. I have been out swimming with them here, and while they are not tame and it's probably not recommended, it is not hard to do. You are bound to run into a hunting pod if you wait long enough.

Back
Top Bottom