When going to a new place, how do you pick a dive operator?

When going to a new place, how do you pick a dive operator?

• Ask travel operator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow recommendation of SCUBA/travel guide

• Internet search, look up their website

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Ask other divers: Scubaboard, buddies

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • SCUBA magazines

• Just show up at the first you find

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was no option to pick two - I usually get some recommendations off SB, and then go with the one out of those with the best website.

I look for the opinions of other divers, especially now that there's such a wealth of information like that available online. In my opinion, you can get the most honest evaluations that way. I'd rather hear about customers' experiences than read marketing spin.

Of course, I try to consider the source of the opinion too. As the paraphrase goes, one man's ideal dive boat is another man's nightmare at sea. When looking for a deep wreck charter for example, a rave review about a newbie-friendly boat might be a turn off... or vice versa.

In the past I've looked on the websites but not having been there I usually went with the one that's at the resort. Cozumel was different, I went with one off of the resort do to the crazy prices the one at the resort was asking.

Now that I've found Scubaboard :jump013: :banana: I will probably be asking for some advice on my next trip.

ewong:
Just wondering how everybody else does it ...

Eddy.

the one with the most awesome babes for dive masters. duhhhh.

Surely word of mouth (whether good or bad) is the most important source of info on dive destinations etc. Most divers I know can't stop talking about diving. I'm going to the red sea in 3 weeks (yeehah) and I know where I'm going because of the people I've asked.

I chose "Other" - I usually have a e-mail dialogue with several operators in the area after reading reviews, visiting dive operator web sites, etc. to help narrow my choices down. It really helps bridge the gap of "I thought you would have / do / (fill in the blank) . . . " upon arrival.

I usually ask my LDS. Their recommendations have been good- - - esp. because my first dive trip they recommended a certain operator. Then a year later they called me and suggested that if I go back to that locale I use a different operator because reference #1 was excellent for newbies but after a year of diving we should move on to reference #2 which was also a good choice.

Before going on a trip I make up a list of likely looking dive ops, based on their website, personal comments by buddies, and what I see posted on places like Scubaboard.

When arriving at the destination, I go down to the docks and check out the boats. You can tell a lot about an operation by looking carefully at how the boat is setup and maintained. Particularly in non-US locations, I end up rejecting a few operators based upon the condition of their boat.

Often, I'll dive with more than one operator in area. Different operators have different advantages --- one may give the best marine life briefing in the world; another may go to a particular site I want to visit that day; on a rough water day a big cattleboat may be best.

It's rare that an operator is so bad that I wouldn't consider using them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom