Going to send in my application for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my requirements all done over a month ago. But finally getting all the signatures from the 3 different instructors on the right forms. Got my physical turned in, so I'll get the application tomorrow. During the program, I've assisted 5 different instructors.

All together, I've interned the equivalent of 3 full confined water sessions (4 classes, but equivalent of 3, as we did DM skills in 2 of the days); 2 full open water; 1 AOW; 1 drysuit; and 2 refresher. The only thing I regret not interning was the rescue class, as the wienie student called in sick.

I am probably not the greatest DM, not the greatest diver, make stupid mistakes as a DM intern, unskilled at basic skills, some day good, some day bad.... Heck, it is simply embarrassing when the instructor introduced me as "the best DM as they come".... big joke, if they only knew.....

What have I gained?

1. Greater respect for the risk that instructors and DM face.
2. Greater understanding for the frustration that students and instructors face on basic skill, anxiety, and panic...
3. Seeing the variety of way one can perform the same task, and achieve the same outcome..
4. Better incentive to keep physically fit (as it is aerobic exercise when you have to tow the same darn student back to shore twice in two weeks, and 3 times total - the other DM towed her in once).

What have I learned?

1. It is amazing how visibility can drop to near zero after an OW class take their touring dive.
2. It is best if student do the pool session in the SAME gear they will use in their OW dive (full hood, full suit, boots, and mitts).
3. Every class present a different challenge.

Would I do it again - definitely yes. It might not make me a better diver, but it does make me a better person.

Doubtful. I think I'll help out only if I have time this winter, and if someone will cover for my liability insurance. I have not talked to the shop about it... perhaps we'll have to work out some kind of agreement.

Back
Top Bottom