PADI Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRomano

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can a PADI Divemaster teach PADI Seal Team or Bubblemaker courses?

Requires AI or above.

the K

The Kraken is of course correct.

DRomano, if you're looking to expand your horizons as a DM, after an internship consisting of conducting four Discover Scuba Diving experiences under direct supersion of an instructor, you can independently conduct the pool-only version of the DSD experience.

I know not from which quarter the expectations of prospective dive masters are derived, but the economic income possibilities of substantial income as a PADI dive master is quite overstated in most arenas.

The "potential" income can be used as a luring tool by the dive shop/instructor in order to sell the program, much the same as the income from instruction can be used to make a great sales pitchh to sell an instructor program.

In many cases, the dive shop has a well stocked remuda of dive masters and instructors.

If you choose to pursue the DM/Instructor path, try to get an employment contract put in place with the dive shop before signing up for the program. I would hazard a prediction that the desire to sell a dive master or instructor course would rapidly disappear if it were predicated upon a resulting work contract at the successful completion of the course.

the K

Sounded like an attack on the shady sales pitches of the dive shops than the program itself. K was my DM instructor and I can tell you he has never attacked the program, least not to me.

The owner at my LDS says DMs get $200 to assist per OW class, and "get paid for other stuff too". He also said the shop is over-staffed with instructors right now but "we always need divemasters". Sounds like an honest situation to me, no?

Guys:

This is a clear case of hijacking a thread. The first 2 responses were right on target... After that, the discussion completely flew off topic. DRomano simply asked if DMs are allowed to teach Bubblemaker and Seal Team, he did not ask anyone's opinion about whether he could support his family doing it. He has been diving 28 years, has over 500 dives and it is clear he is most certainly not some naive 20 year old being lured into a scuba diving career under false pretences.

There are plenty of experienced divers who choose to become DMs because they love diving, want to share it with others, are ready for additional responsibility and do not need or want to make diving their full time profession. I am one of them and would like to feel free to ask questions in this forum without having to be subjected to diatribes about employment practices that have nothing to do with the topic.

Kraken is one of the most knowledgable contributers to ScubaBoard and, as far as I know, he has never made a factual error in a posting... As you would expect, he was absolutely on target with his first responce to the original question. However, his second posting was clearly off topic. Whether he is right about unethical behavior by some dive shops or not isn't important... What is key is that a discussion which could have led to a productive dialog on what DMs are allowed to teach was absolutely cut off. For what? A discussion about the ethics of teaching a trade to someone you are not planning to hire?

I believe there are two simple measures for whether our contributions to the new and beginner forums have been constructive. First, did the topic stay on track... Did we address the question the diver asked or simply drop a bomb and get something off our chest? And second, did the author of the original post stay engaged in the dialog? If not, there is a good chance we chased him/her away with our strong opinions that all too often have nothing to do with the question at hand.

DRomano: If you have any more questions about what DMs are allowed to teach or if you want to know what classes a variety of DMs find most rewarding/interesting, I invite you to make another posting on this thread or to start a new one... We will all do our best to behave!

P

Well spoken (or at least written ) PreBC.......thank you for speaking up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom