PADI Divemaster Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I won't be taking my divemaster course for about 1 year because i am not eighteen yet but i have bourght the PADI Divemaster Crewe Pack so i can start to read the books, watch the DVD and just learn about the course.

In the Divemaster pack that i bourght i got: the Divemaster Manual, Divemaster DVD, some slates, tune-up giude, briefcase, log binder, Divemaster application pack, Training log instructor manual etc. Also i got a decal which said on it that this is proof that i have a copy of the instructor and Divemaster manual. I heard that i must attch this to the Divemaster Application form when i pass my course. Is this true and if so why? Can you please tell me if there is anything else i will need and also what i need to fill-in in terms of paperwork etc.

Also can you please tell me if i need to get anymore paperwork or anything else that i might need for when/if i pass the PADI Divemaster course.

Thanks in Advance
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

First, all of this should be explained to you by the instructor who you will be taking your course with. He will also ensure that all your paperwork is properly filled out and filed during and upon completion of your course.
Just for the purposes of getting a head-start on the academics, you will need the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. Along with the DM and Instructor manual (which you said you already have), this is where the majority of information for your exams will come from. The Diving Knowledge Workbook is also very useful for practicing for the exams. All those things should have come with your DM Crew Pack. The hologram sticker will have to go on your DM application upon the completion of your course. This is proof to PADI that you purchased the materials rather than using someone else's or copies. Other than that, keep diving and ensure that you are comfortable and efficient with the skills you have learned so far.
Congratulations on choosing to become a DM and good luck with everything.

All of the paperwork and administration issues will be explained by your instructor when you start the course. Don't lose the decal... if you do then you'd need to buy another DM crewpack, as that is the only way you can get them! They are used by PADI to ensure that the DM (and instructor) candidates have purchased and own a correct edition copy of the crewpack and manual.

For general course pre-study, I would recommend the following:

1) Obtain copies of the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook. Complete the workbook (lots of questions) by using the encyclopedia as your reference. You can get these as paper books, or the Encyclopedia is also available in electronic format (very convenient) on DVD or download.

2) Pick up copies of varied PADI course manuals from EBay. There's lots available cheap on the UK auctions. They're an interesting read and will increase your breadth of diving knowledge.

3) Pick up a copy of the PADI Instructor Manual from Ebay. It doesn't have to be the latest up-to-date 2011 version. It's just for reference and to give you a wider insight into the Divemaster conducted programmes (scuba review etc) and also how PADI courses are structured and how the instructor standards are applied. Old 2009 versions should be quite cheap on auctions. You can get this as an electronic manual (DVD or download).. which is cheaper with shipping and (oviously) not as bulky.

4) Pick up a copy of Mark Powell's book 'Deco for Divers'. This will give you an above-average level of knowledge about decompression theory (how nitrogen accumulates and disperses from the human body..and how this relates to diving profiles, ascent speed, safety and deco stops etc).

5) Obtain a copy of a 5thD-X DVD. These will help illustrate what high-level buoyancy and control look like... and give you something to work towards on your dives. Have a google for where to get these in the UK. I got mine via Ebay. There are also clips from them on youtube.

6) Check Ebay for Technical Diving books. Whilst the DM course isn't about technical diving, they will also give a wider breadth of understanding about scuba diving in general. It doesn't hurt for DMs to have knowledge at this level. There are some examples on my Amazon.co.uk list

He already bought the DM crewpack. Doesn't mention that he's got IM.

To the OP: it's worth checking with your selected dive school whether the crewpack you have bought will still be valid in the future. There's changes to the DM programme this year... so the old crewpack (and hologram sticker) could become invalid for courses in 12 months time...

He already bought the DM crewpack. Doesn't mention that he's got IM.
He may not recognize what it is since if it's in book form, it's a little zippered cordura binder and doesn't look much like a textbook. The DM crewpacks here have been bundled with the IMs for quite a long time already, and as they are required materials one would assume they are now included in the crewpack.

To the OP: Take a careful look at the materials in your crewpack include an Instructor Manual before considering a purchase of one. Ours here don't come with the DVD, so there may be some variation.

To the OP: it's worth checking with your selected dive school whether the crewpack you have bought will still be valid in the future. There's changes to the DM programme this year... so the old crewpack (and hologram sticker) could become invalid for courses in 12 months time...

Very good point. I think from 1st July 2011, instructors are required to teach the new DM course, with the new materials.... So there's a chance the crew pack you have will be out of date..... :depressed:

To the OP, it is now recommended (but not mandatory) that DM candidates get deep certified - up to 40M.

There is nothing to stop you getting that part done before your 18th, if they are building that in to the course you could still maybe do it in advance with the same instructor.

Other than that on the same lines i.e. additional courses, nitrox is a good idea if you do not already have it.

I guess there would be nothing to stop you making preparatory dives on the site that you will be doing your map project on - speak to the instructor and see what he/she thinks about that.

There is a group of us finishing our DM's under the old program at our shop now. We were in various stages of finishing, but are now in a formal class situation so that we will finish long before the new PADI program takes effect July 1, 2011.

We were looking at the new program and a couple of the changes that jumped out at me were they now require a lot more water work and scenarios. Some of the specialty courses can be substituted for the scenarios. Unfortunately, I don't remember all of the substitutions at this point. Instead of 8 different exams (physics, physiology, equipment, skills and envrionment, ERDP/Deco, DM Conducted programs, Supervising students, supervising divers) of 20 questions each, there are 2 parts to the exam, with 60 questions each. The intership option and the practical application option are still available. I also think there are now 9 quizes over the knowledge reviews, but I could be mistaken. There are now 24 skills that must be demonstration quality, instead of the 20 now required. The swim tests and equipment exchange are still part of the new program. You will also be able to complete the academic work through PADI's e-learning program or as a class at your dive shop.

I would encourage you to get a copy of the Encyclopedia of Rec Diving and the Diving Knowledge Workbook. These have been helpful to me so far on my exams (I'm half way through).

I would second watching the 5thD-X videos. Look at what you see, and think about whether your skills measure up. All too many shops allow people to rush into DM training, before their own personal diving skills are well-honed. Remember that, as a DM, you will be a role model for others, as well as sometimes needing really solid skills to salvage situations. (You won't believe what OW students can and will present you with!) If you, or the people who are training you, don't look that stable and solid in the water, or don't have that degree of control, go find somebody who does and get your own skills polished. That's a great way to use the time until you are old enough to start the DM program!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom