Ready to start Dive Leader Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have completed my EFR and Rescue diver courses therefore I am now ready to begin my DM training. Since my goals are to go through the PADI Instructor levels, I am wanting to find a dive center that has a thorough DM course that will not only give me the academic training, but in water "real world" experinced I need to graduate as a confident, competent and qualified DM. When talking to the dive centers/instructors what questions should I be asking to help me decide on where I do my training. Does anyone out there know anything about Bob Brayman's International Diving Career Institute at Hall's?

I greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

What about doing your training in Texas. It would probably be much cheaper than traveling to Florida. EK Souel is a PADI Course Director and owns Divers Depot. Has trained a ton of people over the years. There are a number of shops in Texas that are PADI shops that could give you plenty of hands on real life training.

Divers Depot - Tyler
diversdepot_tyler@hotmail.com

Divers Depot - Nacogdoches
diversdepot@hotmail.com

The OP wrote
I have completed my EFR and Rescue diver courses therefore I am now ready to begin my DM training.
Really? You are "now ready to begin [your] DM training?" And what makes you think so?

These are rhetorical questions that can only be answered by the OP -- but I, for one, have some pretty strong opinions on when a diver is "now ready to begin [her] DM training" and just by virtue of having a few dives, an EFR and Rescue card does NOT make such a diver ready.

OP -- can you hold a stop without any reference -- and flood/clear your mask or shoot a bag -- all without losing contact with your buddy or varying your position?

Can you successfully navigate by compass and/or natural navigation on all your dives, all the time keeping track of your situation (time, depth, buddies)?

Have you done several diving trips to dive in conditions different from your home area and been totally comfortable on every dive?

Are you comfortable diving in a dry suit, wet suit, jacket BC and back inflate BC?

In other words, do you have a fair amount of diving experience AND diving experiences which will give you a practical database so that you can assist divers in a variety of issues?

To my mind, when the answer to those questions is "Yes" then you "are ready to begin [your] DM training."

YMMV

To echo what Peter said: Rescue and EFR may be pre-requisites for enrollment on a DM course but, by themselves, are not an indication of 'readiness'.

What exactly makes you feel ready for this training, other than 2 pieces of plastic in your wallet?

...and if you find that a harsh and/or unhelpful comment, then my answer to your initial query is that the most competant and comprehensive DM training provider would be the one which asked you that exact question... and would turn you away if you couldn't answer it satisfactorily. :)

To echo what Peter said: Rescue and EFR may be pre-requisites for enrollment on a DM course but, by themselves, are not an indication of 'readiness'.

What exactly makes you feel ready for this training, other than 2 pieces of plastic in your wallet?

...and if you find that a harsh and/or unhelpful comment, then my answer to your initial query is that the most competant and comprehensive DM training provider would be the one which asked you that exact question... and would turn you away if you couldn't answer it satisfactorily. :)

I agree that completion of 2 courses does not automatically make you "ready" though you might meet minimum requirements. I recall echoing Peter's sentiments on one of the OP's earlier threads. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/366877-dm-training-recommendation.html
The OP should be discussing his experience and readiness with the instructor(s) he interviews to take him to the next level.

Devon, you are correct with the direct questions, but the best trainer wouldn't just turn him away. He/she should say "let's go diving to work at building your skills and experience up to the level where we both feel you are ready to start your training." Most folks need a good mentor to emulate and from which to gleen practical knowledge as he gains experience.

To the OP, in your previous thread you asked for instructor recommendations and several where given. Have you indeed contacted any of those well qualified folks to discuss your experience level and goals with them? You'll probably get better answers specific to your needs and goals during one-on-one conversation with them than you might in public forum.

Like the other instructors who have posted here, we are passionate about turning out the best possible divers & dive pros at any level. We have seen many who moved forward with minimum qualifications who turned out to be mediocre:shakehead:. We've all met "That Guy", you know the one. He's out there in every walk of life (including diving), the guy whose walk doesn't quite add up to his talk. Don't be another "That Guy".

Find a local mentor to dive dive dive before you giant stride cross-country to discover you aren't as prepared for the landing as you thought you were.

To the OP: I am currently working on my divemaster training. When I started the class, I was asked WHY????? My why -- because I like people, and I want to help them become the best divers they can be. I am passionate about underwater photography and nothing makes me sadder than to see people doing damage to the environment to get the shot. My instructors agreed with me that I was ready to start the training. I had done several specialties, helped with club dives, and been on several trips with the shop. I felt I was ready, and so did they.

During this class, I have discovered that there are skills required to a divemaster that I needed to work on -- hovering, doffing and donning the scuba unit underwater and buddy breathing. Why buddy breathing -- the required equipment exchange. Fortunately, I dive with a great bunch of instructors, buddies and classmates. ALL of my classmates and I have spent more time in the pool in the past 2 months doing nothing but going back and sharpening the skills we all learned as open water divers. Some skills we were just being sloppy with (mask clearing comes to mind) -- other skills were rusty from lack of use (free flow regulator exercise). If the reason you want to do your DM training is to further your education and learn skills, I would encourage you to take some of the specialty courses, find a mentor or 2 to teach you to do some things that aren't necessarily covered in specialty courses like how to fire a lift bag or SBM and reel yourself up it, how to fix your equipment underwater fast, how and when to use different kinds of finning techniques.

If your divemaster course is taught will, it will be a humbling and enriching experience all at the same time. The academics are tough and so are the practical application tests. All of us in my class (there are 7) have been humbled by the academics and the demands placed upon us by our instructors in the demonstration of the required water skills. But in the end of the day, we all want to help people become the best divers they can be -- not one of "those" divers -- whose walk doesn't match his talk. We will all be better divers and will help others become better divers. Why -- because we have been made aware that people will be watching what we do, how we do it and will do what we are doing just because we are doing it. Are you skills at the point that if someone was watching you, would you want them to do what you are doing? This only comes with time and experience.

I wish you the best as you consider your further training.

Devon, you are correct with the direct questions, but the best trainer wouldn't just turn him away.

I could have phrased it better :wink:

I meant - turned away (temporarily) from starting the DM course, in favour of doing what is really necessary to get to a level of 'readiness'. :D Sometimes, that just means going away and diving for the sake of enjoying diving for a while... rather than specific mentoring to develop skills and knowledge.

I meant - turned away (temporarily) from starting the DM course, in favour of doing what is really necessary to get to a level of 'readiness'.
Actually, I would love to have a student start training ASAP. Teach them great habits and situational awareness right from the beginning! :D

However, not all DMs dive a lot. Being a Dive Master is all about crowd control. Situational awareness is incredibly important at this level, but that's a large part of the class.

I think one of the saddest things I see here in Puget Sound is that new divers don't have good role models, because people move into the professional levels before they have the personal skills to serve as models.

To the OP: Find an instructor who wants to evaluate YOU as a diver before admitting you to a DM program. All too often, these are just money makers for the shop (and produce cheap or free labor) so they really don't care much what the quality is of the candidates or the training.

to the OP ;
where do you think is the location you will apply your new abilites once you become a DM?
If you seriously plan on working in your local market, I would suggest going through your LDS. Hopefully also they already know you from having already trained you so far and having made gear sales and maintence on your gear. If you never patronized them and show up with a pile of gear purchased online---good luck.
They may accept you for training,but probably never use you as a Dm resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom