PADI instructor manual and PADI's guide to teaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

If a PADI proffetional or course director could answer this question that would be great.
so, i have recently bourght the PADI idc crewepack as i am planning to complete the PADI idc and ie in the next couple of months.

here is the question:
when i was reading PADI's guide to teaching i found it to be very much similar to the inst manual, what is the point in having both why not just include extra info like ratio's and max depths for courses in the guide to teaching?
if someone could explain how to use these properly that would also be greart

thanks
Craig Chamberlain

The IM lists the standards and procedures for the courses. The GTT is more a set of "ideas" in how togo about the courses. So IM are the rules, GTT offers a bit more on the how to go about it.

You NEED to follow the IM, GTT is just ideas and recommendations by PADI

Until 2010(?) they were together in one manual. In order to make the IM "simpler" all the "teaching guide material" was taken out and, surprise, put back into a separate item which, surprise, is now sold separately. I keep my 2008-9 manual on my laptop and refer to it frequently.

when i was reading PADI's guide to teaching i found it to be very much similar to the ins man. . .
if someone could explain hw to use these properly that would also be great.
as several have said, the IM provides the standards - ratios, skills, requirements, etc. The GTT provides guidelines on how to create and deliver a teaching program to MEET those ratios, skills, requirements, etc.

As Peter noted, at a point in the past, both content areas were combined in one document - the IM. I would have preferred that remain the same. It didn't so I will live with it.

But in response to you specific concern - the two are intimately related, they provide different information, and I find both essential to my teaching.

Craig, when you are sitting your Standards Exams in your IDC and IE, I think you will be pretty happy that you are searching for answers in your slimmed down version of the Instructor Manual, rather than something which used to be double the size of the PADI Guide to Teaching (in fact I think it used to come in two ring binders at one point!). Now its much easier to find the "hard rules" in the Instructor Manual.

The PADI Guide to Teaching is useful if you are trying to get your head around a particular skill or exercise. During your IDC you may find it helpful to understand some rescue skills that you might be a little rusty on.

I'm a little worried that Peter Guy is referring to a Manual that is 4 years out of date, especially when the latest version of the Instructor Manual is available to download free of charge on the PADI Pros' site.

Jaja wrote
I'm a little worried that Peter Guy is referring to a Manual that is 4 years out of date, especially when the latest version of the Instructor Manual is available to download free of charge on the PADI Pros' site.

What, there is a new manual? I'll be darned!

Just kidding.

I have several electronic manuals to which I refer -- the most current one is the one I use to confirm the current standards but past ones are good to see what was changed. The benefit of the 2008-2009 version is that it has the teaching guide integrated with the standards (not to mention it also has just a lot more other information). It was a very handy resource and continues to be, even though some of the standards are no longer valid.

While I understand the benefit to both PADI and the Instructor corps of having the current style of manual with just the standards, the old style also had a big benefit. I like having both and that is why I continue to refer to the old manual for practice tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom