Dressel Internships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive2Deco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everybody,

So I've heard a few things about an internship program offered by a dive op called Dressel. They are offering an IDC in exchange for 6 months of my time doing pretty much what ever they want me to do.

What I'm looking for is positive or negative feedback regarding the company & the program. If anybody can shed some light I would be really grateful.

I have taken the time to search the forums for relevant topics but nothing that quite answers my question from this side.. Mostly only from a customers perspective and most of the divers who dived with the op were happy.

The internship I'm interested in is in Jamaica.

Thanks in advance.

i agree with islandheart... there'd have be some serious perks to make that a fair deal.

With the caveat that I haven't done it and so I don't have firsthand experience, what I've heard said is that there is a huge emphasis on selling, and if the intern is not comfortable with this, s/he is likely to drop out of the program and made to pay the course fees stipulated. From what I understand, the selling is pretty overt--approaching guests at the resort and trying to get them to try scuba, convincing the DSD students to sign up for the OW course, and pressing the OW students to sign up for the AOW course. Some of these courses are "free" to the student (cost of materials only), and this is possible only because the interns are not paid anything. For people who have outgoing personalities that match well with selling, it's apparently a positive experience--they get lots of experience in teaching diving; they live in a wonderful paradise; they don't pay for their courses. For others whose personalities are not suited to this kind of marketing, it can be disappointing, to put it mildly.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Turns out I got the job. I'm not 1 to shy away from a challenge.. I'm still young and got nothing but time to experience all the sweet & sour grapes that are to be offered.

I will post my experiences with them after my first couple of weeks or months. I hope them to be positive!

Be interested in hearing the real story... Let us hear from you.

i think its a great deal, if there are no hidden cost's, you'll get lots of experience and they cover your idc(+padi fee's ?) at the end of 6 months you'll be ready to teach :)

Eternaljohan.. IDC, accommodation & food is paid for. Padi registration is doubtful, travel is obviously out of the question... Pitty seeing as the ticket from LHR is like £700, that being said.. Jamaica Jamaica! I'm super stoked

Eternaljohan.. IDC, accommodation & food is paid for. Padi registration is doubtful, travel is obviously out of the question... Pitty seeing as the ticket from LHR is like £700, that being said.. Jamaica Jamaica! I'm super stoked

Jamaica as in the Dressels shop operating out of Rose Hall? Will be there in Feb for some diving..

Hello! I'd say I'm in the same boat as you were when you posted your first question. I don't mind working hard, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. I thought Dressels had good reviews on their website, but on google, I have found more negative reviews.

I'm thinking of going Jan 2014. How was your experience??

Back
Top Bottom