Dive master training recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Houndog

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am SSI certified as a master diver, I want to get my dive master certification. Has anyone used EASE in Vero beach Florida before, or is there any better places to get certified in Florida ?

Capt. Sl8er (local captain out if Jupiter) did his IDC there and recommends it. I've heard it's a good operation, I was going to do my IDC there, but then school got in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of places you can go to become a divemaster. Any OWSI can certify you to that level.
What's your goal after obtaining your certification?
To me that would help decide which route to steer you.

For example, if you are interested in assisting in lots of classes a busy dive shop would be the way to go, but if you are more interested in working for a dive charter then a shop with maybe multiple boats would be a better choice.

Either way I would lean towards a program that allows you to spend a lot of time performing the duties of a divemaster sort of an internship rather than a program where you complete the academics and practical parts of a course and you are done in a couple of weeks.

In the long run, even more important is to start documenting your time at sea in case you want to get a USCG Master's (captain) license one day. It is much easier if you start logging the days and getting signatures from the start. Nobody will care who issued your DM card after a year as long as your insurance is up to date.

Your more likely to DiveMaster locally than in some place you dont live. My recommendation is to check local dive shops who would be interested to have you as a divemaster and then train under them.

Many diveshops like to train their divemasters in their shop so they get to know how the shop works. Going to vero for DM training seems over the top. Remember as a DM your intent is to work with a shop to assist for a year or 2 before going on to becoming an Instructor. Your time spent as a DM will help you in becoming a quality instructor.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was already enrolled in the SSI Dive con program with my local shop, but after 4 months the instructor certifier who was doing the class only had 2 class sessions. I have been sitting in on classes and pool sessions for about 4 months and have been keeping track of all my class and pool time with other instructors and students. I was thinking that going somewhere else where I can complete the course in about 7 days would be better than it taking well over a year. My plan for the future is to become an instructor and to move to the south Florida area.

It seems to me that you may need to talk to the shop owner or a manager and figure out what the next step is. Or maybe contact SSI and see if you can continue your program somewhere else.

EASE is a PADI CDC and going there or to any other PADI CDC would mean starting all over again.

Another option is to actually move as you plan and go through the DM & Instructor program of a shop down here.
You're much more likely to get work that way than as a freshly minted instructor from somewhere else.

I have never dove vero so I cant comment on how the shops/ instructors are. I can tell you that there are a ton of boats and shops that dive daily in Jupiter and west palm. I completed my divemaster course material Friday and was working a boat deck today, so there is demand for GOOD people in the area.

A quality DM program is going to require time. Getting the book work and water skills is only part of the DM course. I had to actively assist with open water, AOW, Nitrox, Deep, Rescue, and Cavern before my instructor signed off on my Card. I now actively assist with classes both in direct supervision and indirect supervision. It has made me a very good DM and it has given me the desire to become a PADI Instructor.

Going PRO is not a Destination, its a journey; take your time and enjoy the ride.

Also if you plan to move to Florida to be a Pro, my recommendation is make the move and then go pro locally. Like the shop i work with many shops like to develop their talent locally so the their DM's and instructors teach and dive like everyone else in the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was already enrolled in the SSI Dive con program with my local shop, but after 4 months the instructor certifier who was doing the class only had 2 class sessions. I have been sitting in on classes and pool sessions for about 4 months and have been keeping track of all my class and pool time with other instructors and students. I was thinking that going somewhere else where I can complete the course in about 7 days would be better than it taking well over a year. My plan for the future is to become an instructor and to move to the south Florida area.

How are you already enrolled in a SSI Dive Con program if you are not an SSI Dive Guide/Divemaster yet? Master Diver is not the same as Divemaster as you seem to indicate that you know in your original post. Have you completed the Dive Guide program along with the Science of Diving specialty?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom