Recommendations for divemaster in Southeast Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatigre

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I will be traveling in Asia this winter and wanted to do my divemaster certification. I haven't done any diving in Asia before, but have read and heard that it does not seem to be as 'reputable' and has lower standards compared to other places (such as the Caribbean) for divemaster training, which does worry me. Anyone have recommendations for good dive operations in Asia?

I would like to do it with a dive shop that runs a solid program and has good diving with lots of variety and lots to see! (macro and micro sea life). I wouldn't mind a place that is more on the quiet side as I don't want to be caught in a tourist trap, but would like a spot that does have a few options to go out to eat or get a drink. I have been looking at a few options:
-Thailand (Ko Lanta?)
-Indonesia (Gili Air...more quiet than Gili T)
-Philippines (Malapascua - is there more than just the thresher sharks to see?)

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

For Lanta, check out Hidden Depths and Lanta Diver. Also check out Lumba Lumba on Pulau Weh, and Big Fish on Nusa Lembongan. Both are better Indonesian options that the Gilis, IMO.

Malapascua has some okay macro in addition to the threshers, but no big schools of fish...

Koh Tao | Buddha View IDC Diving Resort | Career Development Dive Center

Scuba Dive Great Barrier Reef - Cairns with PRO DIVE

Utila Dive Center | PADI Career Development Center | Scuba Diving | Bay Islands Honduras | Caribbean and Central America

When I was looking at different DM programs worldwide BuddhaView kept getting good reviews and was highly recommended. ProDive was also up there in my search results. I narrowed my final three choices between BuddaView, Utila Dive Center (UDC) and ProDive in Cairns AU. I ended up going to Utila Dive Center...in Utila... which was also highly recommended with great reviews. I chose UDC since it was close to the US...home. While at UDC I was pleasantly surprise to learn that somehow all three of my choices are loosely connected to each other in some sort of network....good attracts good.

Personally, I would go with Trawangan Dive on Gili T (It is not THAT noisy) over Lumba Lumba ANY day of the week.

Hi scubatigre :)

I suggest you research on what the professional dive training provided at the reputable dive operations in those countries you're interested in scuba diving.

Considering your list of countries are all in South East Asia, the underwater environment is fairly similar, so focus on what you're looking to get out of your dive training - I'm sure your answer is: the high standards of dive safety at the dive operations! :wink:
Your mentor, should be an experienced dive educator themselves and conduct your training to PADI standards at all times - setting you an example of the true dive professional attitude!
I might be a little biased in saying that the team I work with are exemplary professional divers - the Go PRO team of Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures' premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre!
Candidates of our Go PRO scuba diving internships live the dive lifestyle for at least 1 month to experience what living the diving dream is all about, which is a variety of disciplines: conservation projects, supervising certified divers who are real diving clients - no simulation whatsoever, teaching dive skills, and conducting all training with diver safety as the highest priority.
We're also based in Kota Kinabalu city centre, the capital of the northernmost state of Borneo - Sabah! The atmosphere is very much like a holiday-resort town with all the amenities needed and attractions everywhere in and around Kota Kinabalu - so lots of entertainment!

Get to know the dive operations that you're interested in - simply put: research the services you're investing in for the best start to your professional diving career! :) Good Luck!

Philippines is a amazing place to dive in so why not have a look at that? The country is a cheap place to live in and really good diving. To see the Thresher sharks are cool but 1 or 2 times is enough for me at least. The massive school of Sardines in Moalboal is cool as well with always different things to see hunting it everyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom