Advice for IDC in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nalbadz

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently completed my divemaster and would like to do my IDC in Asia this winter. I have never dived in Asia, so after doing a bit of reading on the forums here I was thinking about either:

...Gili Air in Indonesia,...Ko Lanta in Thailand or...the Philippines

Any thoughts or input on any of these locations or specific IDC/course directors for any of them?
I am also open to other suggestions in terms of location!

Thanking you all in advance for your help!!!

Hi nalbadz :)

Congrats on certifying as PADI Divemaster, and even bigger congratulations if you managed the snorkel test! :wink:

It's a 'wild' guess, but you'd like to be working in a warm water environment? As do we all! :p

Just to quickly introduce myself: my name is Liz and I'm a full time IDC Staff Instructor with Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures', and we are a licensed tours and travel company based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
Sabah is the northernmost Malaysian state of the island of Borneo in South East Asia, and the Indo-Pacific region, in my opinion, offers some of the most biologically diverse tropical reefs in the world, such as the heavily protected and world-famous underwater mountain Sipadan Island. To dive Sipadan is, for many divers, a 'bucket list' dive destination - so definitely consider taking a visit to the east coast of Sabah :)

Downbelow's PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre is located on Gaya Island, which is an 8-minute speedboat ride from Kota Kinabalu marina, and within the protected Tunku Abdul Rahman marine park.
This video is an example of one of the reefs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84k6d9_A82Q&list=UUijS6hgoEaQYfHDc_XoKSIg

The Go PRO team, of which I'm a member, conducts 4 Instructor Development Courses every year to coincide with PADI Asia Pacific's set schedule for the Instructor Examination.
I myself completed my professional dive training under the tutelage of our resident Platinum PADI Course Director Richard Swann, who provides 100% support and dedication to candidates.
As far as pro dive training goes, your trainer is most instrumental in your development! I'm sure you would find Richard to be a passionate leader, who has inspired ME to further my career; and he really DOES live the diving dream! Hehe!

Have a browse through a couple of our websites and social media platforms I've provided below, for more info on what an IDC would be like with us at Downbelow :) >>>

Facebook
Twitter
IDC Asia | Dive Internship

If you choose Thailand I would suggest Dive Asia in Phuket, I did my IDC with them and was quite happy. I know the current CD Atrem and he is a very good instructor who also worked with another good friend of mine who used to be there CD before moving up to another position in PADI.

You should consider where you will want to work as most new instructors tend to start working where they did their IDC and generally the PADI 5 star that you did you IDC with will take you on as an instructor. With that said you may want to first take a holiday to the possible areas before hand to see if you will like that area, it can look good on the internet and forums but you may have a different view once you arrive.

For both Koh Lanta and Phuket you will have some great diving areas, and even in the low season you can still find work and for a new instructor you will be able to gain more experience fairly quickly. I would say Phuket has a bit more to offer if you will be staying long term, but then again I can not say to much as I have not spent much time in Koh Lanta.

I did my IDC with Rich Reardon a couple of years ago and he was really good. Very calm but very thorough, my IDC was a really enjoyable experience. I work on Lanta now, and he has the reputation of being one of the best CD's around. I think he works with Hidden Depths, in Saladan.

I second what divechick says. A long time ago I had the fortune to work with Rich Reardon in the Philippines, and I thought he was one of the funnies, calmest and nice instructors I've had the good grace to call a colleague. I do not know where he teachers IDCs - we've fallen out of touch, but I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone to do their course with him.

SK

Back
Top Bottom